Torsion Bar crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a 95 Tahoe Sport off a guy awhile back, he said it wasn’t lifted, but even as unknowledgeable as I am thought it rode a little high. Replaced the front tires and got a full alignment, but it’s wearing excessively on the outside of the front treads. Started learning about cranking the torsion bars, wondering now if that was done. You can see a little difference in angle from front to rear. Would cranking the torsion bars (or keys or whatever, not up on the lingo) cause this, and shouldn’t the alignment have corrected it?
You must be registered for see images attach

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would think that an alignment would handle the tire wear issue regardless of the torsion bar crank.

If you want to put it back to stock (or verify if it already is), the torsion bar screws are turned to set the “Z height” described below. Use the second set of numbers (5.9-6.4 inches, 6.2” preferred).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
I bought a 95 Tahoe Sport off a guy awhile back, he said it wasn’t lifted, but even as unknowledgeable as I am thought it rode a little high. Replaced the front tires and got a full alignment, but it’s wearing excessively on the outside of the front treads. Started learning about cranking the torsion bars, wondering now if that was done. You can see a little difference in angle from front to rear. Would cranking the torsion bars (or keys or whatever, not up on the lingo) cause this, and shouldn’t the alignment have corrected it?
An upper ball joint flip plus a proper alignment will bring that angle right in and you won't have to sacrifice height. It'll also move the upper control arm farther away from the droop stop. Shock extensions/extended shocks will help smooth out your ride.

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

Cole Chambers

Reaction score
I don't know if you have a six lug or an eight lug 2500 OP, but here is what it looks like on an eight lug 2500 with the torsion bars maxed out as far as they will go with 315/75/16 tires. So you should have no problem clearing 33s with a slight crank of the torsion bars.

So how bad is your ride? And also, have you had any issues with the front end parts wearing out?

2 Sweet

Oozing Machismo
Reaction score
I cranked mine all the way, and it was beyond terrible. It rode really rough and bounced wayyyyyy too much. I cranked it back down about halfway, and it rides well again, but I still need to get an alignment.

c4boom

Reaction score
I got a hold of a set of short dif drop brackets for my 88 k2500 to straighten the cv axles . I got them from ebay and did the ball joint flip . Drove it that way fo 45k miles .