Torque specs question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Koast

Reaction score
I have a 14 bolt full floater on the rear of my suburban and was looking to get some 2in spacers. the guy at us wheel adapter told me with their aluminum 2 inch wheel spacers it needs to be torqued at 95 foot pounds. For 3/4 ton that seems awful light to me does anybody have any suggestions?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the guy at us wheel adapter told me with their aluminum 2 inch wheel spacers it needs to be torqued at 95 foot pounds.

I have no experience with spacers at all, but if that's where you bought them from then I'd be inclined to listen to the guy.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"Looking to get" suggests that you haven't bought them yet... I expect you'll probably find torque specs already included with the kit. If the sales rep gives you a different number than that, then you'll want to find out whether there's been a mistake, or an update.

FWIW, the lug torque chart I have states that some Suburban wheels get torqued as low as 88 lb-ft. Others, as high as 140. Depends on the year, series, number of driven wheels, and wheel material.

Koast

Reaction score
"Looking to get" suggests that you haven't bought them yet... I expect you'll probably find torque specs already included with the kit. If the sales rep gives you a different number than that, then you'll want to find out whether there's been a mistake, or an update.

FWIW, the lug torque chart I have states that some Suburban wheels get torqued as low as 88 lb-ft. Others, as high as 140. Depends on the year, series, number of driven wheels, and wheel material.

I have a 98 Suburban 2500 14 bolt ff rear axle.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
140 lb-ft, according to this chart. But that's without spacers. You might need to use a lower spec to avoid damaging whatever kind of aluminum they're made of (or whatever grade studs they have), so I'd still go with whatever they recommend there.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Generally you would torque 'em same as you would torque wheels on that vehicle. However they're made out of aluminum so I would avoid the higher end of the torque specs you might find out there as you could possibly distort the spacers or the lugs dig into them enough to damage the lug seat of the spacer.

If they were going on my vehicle I'd consider using a little thread locker, the easy release stuff, so that they won't work their way loose but you can remove them later if needed. Keep in mind thread locker (or anything else on the theads for that matter) will affect your torque reading.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 14 bolt full floater on the rear of my suburban and was looking to get some 2in spacers. the guy at us wheel adapter told me with their aluminum 2 inch wheel spacers it needs to be torqued at 95 foot pounds. For 3/4 ton that seems awful light to me does anybody have any suggestions?
Look in your owner's manual, find out what the OEM torque is. Compare OEM stud size to the studs in the spacer kit.

Koast

Reaction score
Did some more searching and a reputable company said 140 ft lbs and the company that said 95 ft lbs are basically wanted by the BBB.
There's my answer...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look in your owner's manual, find out what the OEM torque is. Compare OEM stud size to the studs in the spacer kit.
1997 C/K Truck owner's manual page 6-76
Everything except C 3500 HD is torqued to 140, because they all have 14mm diameter studs. Some have five studs, some have six, some have eight studs--but they're all 14mm, and they all take the same torque.

C 3500 HD uses Dana axles, which have 5/8 diameter studs. Front has five studs, rear has ten. They go to 175 ft/lbs.

Other years may be different.