Toolbox lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Wantin to put some LEDs inside my toolbox for when I have to dig the it at nite. Anyone done it? Mercury switch or pressure switch? Also gonna do under rail bedlights. Is the cargo/dome on a ground trigger? Sorry I hate electrical so it takes me tryin a few times to get things right.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just a thought. You could always use a hood light switch from a 96+. Its a mercury switch I think. I know it comes on when the hood opens, and goes off when the hood is closed. Just do away with the bulb shroud, and solder the connector, or connectors where the bulb touches.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a thought. You could always use a hood light switch from a 96+. Its a mercury switch I think. I know it comes on when the hood opens, and goes off when the hood is closed. Just do away with the bulb shroud, and solder the connector, or connectors where the bulb touches.

Easiest way to do that cleanly is get a bulb that fits the socket, break the bulb (wrap it up so you don't cut yourself) and then solder your leads to the bulb internals . The bulb just plugs in normally and provides power to your LED string.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I bought a little portable LED light from Harbor Freight for like $4, and that sucker is BRIGHT.
I'm waiting to get a toolbox that's worth a damn to mount it in, it's got a magnet, a slot for a nail, or adhesive spots. Takes two triple-A batteries I think.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I plan on using the bed box lights from an Avalanche & use the existing cargo light switch. it'll shine light on both the box & fwd bed side. the fixtures shine light from both sides. I also plan on using leds in it.
You must be registered for see images attach