Tool to drill out header o2 spot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Earthworm

Reaction score
I ordered my headers for my 88 k1500 350. What bit or tool do I use to drill out the o2 sensor spot?

Side note is the heated o2 sensor ac delco afs74 the correct sensor?

should I wrap my spark plugs with fiber glass tape?

and is there any material I can use if this butts again anything like shifting linkage? So it dont burn

thank you everyone. Have a great day.

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would use a drill bit to do a pilot hole. Then probably a step bit to open it up. You will need to weld a bung to the header. Keep that in mind when you make your hole. I am not sure about the rest.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went through this a few days ago. I ordered a 10 pack of O2 bungs from Amazon. I didnt' have the right size hole saw, so I chucked up the next smaller size, put my header collector in a vise, and drilled it. I wallered out the hole as best I could, then used a dremel to open it up a hair. The bung dropped in a little looser than I wanted, but it didn't matter because it was getting welded. I tacked it on two sides, took my time and was careful laying a bead all the way around. Done.

Earthworm

Reaction score
I found a better pick of the hooker 2462 stainless and it looks like it may have a bung that just needs to be drilled. I’m going to call them to confirm though and see what bit they recommend.

I also ordered spark plug covers.

my only concern now is what to use for heat shielding if the headers touch anything like shift linkage, I read on forum here someone with these headers had issue. But no solution posted

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
best thing to use if the headers touch something is a 4lb chevy wrench! or return for a better product. step drill works on the ********* (lol) just stop one size too small. after test fitting the bung again (at correct angle) you can take small amounts out with die grinder. last test fit will be with O2 sensor installed in bung to make sure it is at correct angle and also that it can be removed once bung is welded! use a paint pen to paint edge of bung, paint will transfer to tubing and make a pattern for you to see where to drill.

iif ya put two bungs on each side, it saves time later when installing wide bands for your gauges, or for evac for crankcase breathers. or something that seems controversial as of late, EGT senders.