To Stall Or Not Tom Stall ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I don't race first off, truck is too slow to do that but it does seem to have a little bit of a cam and runs decently, not fast by any means thou, the block has been decked because the ID pad has no numbers, it has Edelbrock Shorty headers, trans has a shift kit, and its a 1990 SS454.
Heres the deal, the front seal on the trans is leaking and Im having it fixed so Im thinking this is a good time to install a low rev stall because it seems to want to creep pretty bad at stops sign, signals. Something like a 2000 stall maybe, what do you guys think?? Am I way off track ?? Will it hurt or compromise anything
Thanks
Bobby V
PS oh shoot I forgot its a 700R4

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you having it fixed by a reputable trans shop? If so, and they know what they're doing, you should definitely be able to talk to them and get their input on the situation. My trans shop picked my TC for me after I told them what I had and wanted. There are a few variables that come into play when choosing a TC that will be beneficial vs one that will hurt the performance.

Torque converters are still black magic to me, but I'm pretty sure vehicle use (highway or city driving), tire size, gear ratio, and cam size are some of the things that you will probably need when providing info to anybody knowledgeable enough to recommend a TC that will work for you.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
This is the ideal, even perfect time, to swap converters, or have yours refinned. The symptoms you described mean your converter is too tight. Your overall driving experience will improve.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For a cheap / mild stall converter look at a new S10 pickup converter for a 700R ....you can get them pretty cheap too.... I am running one now in my mild 350 build and I am happy with it . Sounds perfectly like what you are after .......

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I needed some prodding on this lol. One reason to do this is the idle on 7.4's with a TBI seems to be higher than I like, around 900+ so my backwoods thinking is why fight it just get a small Stall. I wont be able to answer any info on what cam it has thou.
Is this still a sensible thing to do?
Bobby V

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I needed some prodding on this lol. One reason to do this is the idle on 7.4's with a TBI seems to be higher than I like, around 900+ so my backwoods thinking is why fight it just get a small Stall. I wont be able to answer any info on what cam it has thou.
Is this still a sensible thing to do?
Bobby V

No ill effects at all running a mild converter .....go with the S10 V6 one ...like I said its cheap and a nice compromise .... FWIW

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I was going to say no, until you said 454ss. Go for it, they are fun in weekend racers/cruisers but not in daily drivers.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now when you say an S10 V-6 one what exactly do you mean?? A stock S10 converter like from GM?
Ive looked at B&M and even Jegs has some that are 2000rpm stall and they are priced well at about $125 so that's fine by me :Big Laugh: I don't know if im correct but I think it would make it much more diveable on the street, its just a weekend cruiser.
Bobby V

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now when you say an S10 V-6 one what exactly do you mean?? A stock S10 converter like from GM?
Ive looked at B&M and even Jegs has some that are 2000rpm stall and they are priced well at about $125 so that's fine by me :Big Laugh: I don't know if im correct but I think it would make it much more diveable on the street, its just a weekend cruiser.
Bobby V

Converters from Jegs, Summit, B&M and the like in that price range are junk and are going to disappoint. I have one in my truck now and I hate it because it is too loose. The engine always revs before moving the vehicle. A good quality stall converter will be tight and drive like a normal car until you load them up and put power to them. I've used quality billet converters from Circle D and Yank with excellent results, granted they begin at $900. Your best bet is to find a good S10 converter if you don't want to spend that money. The Circle D 3200 stall converter in my 442 is one of the best mods I've made to the car. It drives normal until you put your foot into it.