To SAS or not to SAS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my 99 Suburban Hagrid has dome front end issues, namely an IFS actuator that doesn't actuate, a ripped CV boot, bad brakes, sagging torsion bars, bad ball joints, and needs new shocks and steering hardware. While I'm fixing all of that I had planned on a 2.5" torsion lift (keys and drop brackets) and cut out flares to run 35" tires, and the NNBS front spindle upgrade. I figure the brake hardware, CV axles, and $575 lift kit kit will cost me about $1000 plus all of the steering hardware. I can get a SAS kit from a number if places to run a stock 73-87 Chevy front spring. It'll give me a 6" lift. That and the 87 F350 SRW axle will cost me right at $1000 plus the steering setup. I already have plans to swap my rear axle to a 14 bolt (semi floated if I don't SAS, full floater if I do). The truck will see more street use than trail, what would y'all do?

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you go with the longer 52inch springs it should all ride fairly well. In the long run a think it'll be cheaper to do an SAS. I'm planning my own with my 98. Fabworx has a low boy kit that includes springs and steering pieces...

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm honestly wondering after looking at Sky Manufacturing's website if their lowboy kit couldntnbe made to work with a Ford axle by relocating the spring perches.

95Suburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am running sky's 2.5" brackets, not a big fan. It is a weld on kit, it's up to you to make sure it is perfect. They don't locate off of anything on the frame. It took me several hours before I burned the first weld.
The spring perch is cast into the housing. You can't move them unless you retube the whole axle.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
As has been said, moving the spring perches IN on a front axle is a no go. They're cast into the housing, which would be in the way if you attempted to move them that way. I went with Offroad Design for my kit and was very pleased. I've heard good things about the Sky kit but personally don't like the look of the huge front brackets for a 6" lift with stock front springs. Using stock rear springs would result in about a 7" lift if you use 2.5" brackets, and it would ride & flex better. Though some, including myself find the stock rear springs to be a little too soft. Leaving the factory overloads in helps a lot and if you run front and rear sway bars they'd likely be fine.

As many issues as you have, it sounds like you're replacing the entire front end anyway. And in that case, my vote would be for a SAS.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda what I'm leaning toward. But I want to stay fairly low as its my driver

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Richard could you run 3/4 ton 52's so they wouldn't be so soft?

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Most 3/4 tons had 56" rear springs. They'd give you a little more lift as well. I ended up swapping my overloads for AALs which worked well to cut down on body roll, but gave me another 2+" of lift. Essentially the same thing as building a 3/4 ton 52" leaf pack.

Or if the secondary springs aren't too long, you could use a 52" main spring with the rest of a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pack.
Or double up on the second or even second and third springs... Options are endless.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Richard did you Fab your SAS or buy a kit, and who's kit did you buy, for that matter what front axle did you use? I run into a problem as I have the pushbutton 4wd so I have to stick to the driver side drop axle