To resonate or not to resonate that is the question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zerio29

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, rolled tips vs straight or slash cut will change the sound, as will single or dual tip choices. Also where in the system your can(s) and resonator(s)are located.
The other thing to keep in mind is that exhaust sound is highly subjective. Around here many folks will leave the cats in place and run dual slash cuts out the back or sides after the rear axle, and swear it sounds great. To me that flat farting loud sound is awful, but I see guys every day who paid money to have a truck sound like that....

That is really the key... the sound is very subjective. Which in a way is AWESOME because it really allows you to make your truck your own. But it can suck finding the sound you like (or can tolerate) is more of a matter of trial and error than an exact science.

we have a pretty sweet local muffler shop that will let us try out various setups by just clamping them together and if you don't like it, just clean it up really well and return it. it took me 5 or 6 setups to get a good sound without it driving me nuts on the highway

Andrew7

Reaction score
That is really the key... the sound is very subjective. Which in a way is AWESOME because it really allows you to make your truck your own. But it can suck finding the sound you like (or can tolerate) is more of a matter of trial and error than an exact science.

we have a pretty sweet local muffler shop that will let us try out various setups by just clamping them together and if you don't like it, just clean it up really well and return it. it took me 5 or 6 setups to get a good sound without it driving me nuts on the highway

Johnny Walker Muffler around here will attach various mufflers for you to decide.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, rolled tips vs straight or slash cut will change the sound, as will single or dual tip choices. Also where in the system your can(s) and resonator(s)are located.
The other thing to keep in mind is that exhaust sound is highly subjective. Around here many folks will leave the cats in place and run dual slash cuts out the back or sides after the rear axle, and swear it sounds great. To me that flat farting loud sound is awful, but I see guys every day who paid money to have a truck sound like that....

Cammed up and heavy hitting compression in the exhaust note always sounds sweet. Loud for the sake of being loud always sounds flat to me.

Last edited:

CATman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
wife doesnt want to ride in my truck because of the drone noise while lower speeds. i have 454 with flowmater 44, single duals out, but i turn them out before the tire. i thought it was a bit loud. i then added a resonator on it, and it changed the tone of it, but still have the drone. after i lower the truck i will run the exhaust out the back. for now, i guess wife will stay home, lol. Is the muffler isolated from the cab and frame. Would that make a difference in the sound in the cab?? i tried to make sure i had plenty of clearance on mine from the frame and used the rubber mounts.

Zerio29

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
wife doesnt want to ride in my truck because of the drone noise while lower speeds. i have 454 with flowmater 44, single duals out, but i turn them out before the tire. i thought it was a bit loud. i then added a resonator on it, and it changed the tone of it, but still have the drone. after i lower the truck i will run the exhaust out the back. for now, i guess wife will stay home, lol. Is the muffler isolated from the cab and frame. Would that make a difference in the sound in the cab?? i tried to make sure i had plenty of clearance on mine from the frame and used the rubber mounts.

Running the exhaust outlet farther from the cab and past the body lines will definitely help. Just putting longer tailpipes can change the tone of the exhaust. Good soft rubber isolators can also make a difference, but they aren't usually the problem. A 44 series flowmaster is a loud exhaust, and there's only so much you can do to make your truck loud with no consequences in the cab. If the drone still bugs her after its run out the back, you might need to switch mufflers - even to a super 50 if you want a similar sound to the super 44 but a little quieter.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last post on this thread is last year but the info contained in it is beneficial to all and newcomers. Older exhaust shop men might be of help with J tubes. It's a means of reducing in cab exhaust drone. While a quieter muffler is a simpler solution some like the sound but just want to reduce the drone. I am one of those.
Here is some info I ran across recently for drone reduction. Lengths and shapes vary so some experimenting might be necessary to achieve the desired results.