To replace the pellet Catalytic converter or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1990 5.7L @160k miles with the original pellet cat still on it. I still pass emissions and am satisfied with the way the truck scoots around. I would like to ask those that have swapped out for a newer honeycomb cat if you noticed an increase in pep, MPG etc? I have a newish Walker cat-back system on there and the engine is completely stock. I'm in California, so I'd have to buy the CARB version which adds $100. Just trying to justify/motivate the purchase if it happens to have any noticeable benefits. Thanks in advance.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I removed the pellet converter from my '88 in favor of a "universal" honeycomb cat.

I did this during an engine swap. The entire OEM exhaust system was scrapped. Reinstalled with Edelbrock Tubular Exhaust System "headers", the honeycomb cat, and a Flowmaster 3" cat-back exhaust system 'n' muffler.

The truck had a little more power, and about a mile-per-gallon better economy--but how much of that was the new exhaust, and how much was replacing the tired 230,*** engine I couldn't tell you.

I was glad for any improvement...but...I had hoped for more.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I went ahead and swapped out for a honeycomb about a month ago. I think i can feel a little more power. If nothing else, I trimmed 20 lbs off the curb weight. That pellet cat was heavy.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind the old pellet style converters were considered "1 way" cats (which were restrictive too), the newer ones are "3-way" which helps control, not only COs, but NOx (EGR). NOx is probably what will cause you will fail in CA. As usual, the general liability clause applies, lol.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pellet cats make good mufflers. I ran with no muffler on my 88 and it was mellow.