To LS or not to LS, that is the question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Matt Happel of Sloppy Mechanics used a 4.8 junkyard block and some go fast parts in his "8s for $8K" SN95 Mustang build. I don't remember what the dyno sheets looked like, been a while since I watched the videos, but according to the Sloppy Wiki page it's been 8.85 at 153MPH. I have a feeling builds like this are why the 4.8s are increasing in popularity. More people are realizing how much potential they have, even if they are the baby of the LS engines.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/sloppy-builds/8s-for-8-mustang

I think I'm going to start watching for one of these. I shouldn't read all these threads, it makes me spend money....lol!

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
My 2003 XCSB2WD got 18.75 MPG tank after tank even with 453,000 miles and the engine had never been opened up and the stock exhaust in place.

the 5.3L I am getting has 400k or so on it and runs like a top. So i will do external parts aka water pump, thermostat etc... but wont open it til I have to.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear about a lot of 4.8/ 80e combos lately?
Is there a reason not to get the 5.3?
Where I am 5.3 is much more common and usually make it to the JY with less miles on em.

No, I think it's just that people are realizing you can make good power with the 4.8 and they're usually cheaper.

4.8 likes revs more because of the shorter stroke, but unless you have a cam it doesn't really matter.
The shorter stroke of the 4.8 makes it a better candidate for boost (and revs). Boost breaks stroked motors. Besides, they're usually cheaper, and you can make up any lost power from the smaller displacement by just clamping the gate longer.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
the 5.3L I am getting has 400k or so on it and runs like a top. So i will do external parts aka water pump, thermostat etc... but wont open it til I have to.

I don't care how many miles the pullouts I use have. They always get a timing chain and an oil pump before they go in. Cheap insurance!

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry but for a 4wd and pulling a stock LS based engine just dont have low tq of a 96 up SBC or BBC. My 96 would outdo my 02 6.0 HD truck in everything except highway pulling. The 6.0/4?l80 dont lose mph as easy on big hills pulling 8-9k trIler as to my 5.7/5spd would. The 6.0 has 300+k with a decent pulling tune and the 5.7 has close to same millage but only has the emissions deleted and security off in pcm.

BPR Speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fully support the LS platform. IF you can afford to rebuild the 5.7 then do it. If you want a very easy maintenance styled engine that brings the truck into a very healthy field of replacement parts I'd go LS. The platform just fits the truck so well. I just finished a friends 5.3 LM7 swap. We completely rebuilt the engine (bored, pistons, turned the crank, head job and threw in a LS1 cam out of a 96' Trans AM and all the needed gaskets, oil pump ect.). On the stock torque converter, 4l60e from the donor, PAC1218 valve springs for the cam, the truck absolutely rips. I've been questionable about LS swaps for awhile but to bring a vehicle into the LS playing field, this is one of the best platforms to do it on. You can see the build on my Face Book page @ Blaine's Automotive Performance & Restorations out of Portsmouth, VA (not dropping for business ads!, just for pictures on the build). Take a look at everything we did and I can assure you it was a well worthy project that has really turned out great. The truck seamlessly cruises up to 80 mph before you know it. I'll also be building my 96" K1500 step-side here in the near future for the L31 Whipple side mounted S/C because even I know the value of a traditional style build. Needless to say my buddies 96" is probably worth more than my nicer truck in the aftermarket right now due to the skyrocketing desire of LS swapped OBS trucks. Contact me here or at my business page for a step by step guide for the swap. BTW, we used the donor vehicle to part out and use all it's associated parts for the swap to bring the grand total build at right under $3K. This included the $750 in machine shop costs.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I fully support the LS platform. IF you can afford to rebuild the 5.7 then do it. If you want a very easy maintenance styled engine that brings the truck into a very healthy field of replacement parts I'd go LS. The platform just fits the truck so well. I just finished a friends 5.3 LM7 swap. We completely rebuilt the engine (bored, pistons, turned the crank, head job and threw in a LS1 cam out of a 96' Trans AM and all the needed gaskets, oil pump ect.). On the stock torque converter, 4l60e from the donor, PAC1218 valve springs for the cam, the truck absolutely rips. I've been questionable about LS swaps for awhile but to bring a vehicle into the LS playing field, this is one of the best platforms to do it on. You can see the build on my Face Book page @ Blaine's Automotive Performance & Restorations out of Portsmouth, VA (not dropping for business ads!, just for pictures on the build). Take a look at everything we did and I can assure you it was a well worthy project that has really turned out great. The truck seamlessly cruises up to 80 mph before you know it. I'll also be building my 96" K1500 step-side here in the near future for the L31 Whipple side mounted S/C because even I know the value of a traditional style build. Needless to say my buddies 96" is probably worth more than my nicer truck in the aftermarket right now due to the skyrocketing desire of LS swapped OBS trucks. Contact me here or at my business page for a step by step guide for the swap. BTW, we used the donor vehicle to part out and use all it's associated parts for the swap to bring the grand total build at right under $3K. This included the $750 in machine shop costs.
Don't forget the extra $3k for a tranny rebuild after your LS ******* rips the 4l60e in two LOL.

BPR Speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far so good on ours with a corvette servo but yes I already warned him of the immanent danger to his trans and rear end. He drives it hard even after a "firmly requested" break in period of 500, 1500 and 3k oil changes.