Tire size for 18x10 wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04SVT

Reaction score
I really like the way my OBS looks with 20" wheels, but for city streets, it's a bit rough. I'm thinking hard about dropping to an 18x8 and 18x10 set-up. With this drop, the tires obviously have to tuck under the wheel well. The fronts are easy to find: 245/50 is right at the stock running height. But the back tire size is not so obvious.
If anyone is running this set-up on a lowered truck, what tire size are you running? I want to keep the stock ride height, which is roughly 27.7 front and 28.7 back.
The truck as it currently sits, and the wheel that I'm cosidering, are pictured below.
Thanks in advance,
KM
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
275/45r18 would be my suggestion for such a wide rear wheel. Though you're likely to need to roll the rear fenders
With the right offset, no rolling needed. I am running a 315 with no rolling, I am at a 4” drop looks like OP is a bit lower but it will work. I agree a 275/45r18 is a good size.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran 295/45/18s on my old Tahoe. With the right offset it would fit no problems.
Yes, that size may fit well, however O.P. stated his front tire size is 245/50/18. Keeping ABS operational requires all 4 tire to be the same rolling diameter. O.P. hadn't stated he has ABS, but I choose to err on the side of "he does". Your suggested tire size is over 3/4" taller and ABS wont like that.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My ABS worked find. I had staggered size, 17s up front. I ran 2 different sizes, both being smaller than the rear. Had it doing over 120 many times, other than handling like a noodle it was fine.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My ABS worked find. I had staggered size, 17s up front. I ran 2 different sizes, both being smaller than the rear. Had it doing over 120 many times, other than handling like a noodle it was fine.
Strange, I've never heard of ABS activating at 120 mph.
120 mph, shhh. Never admit to breaking the law. That's "license revoking" speed.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that size may fit well, however O.P. stated his front tire size is 245/50/18. Keeping ABS operational requires all 4 tire to be the same rolling diameter. O.P. hadn't stated he has ABS, but I choose to err on the side of "he does". Your suggested tire size is over 3/4" taller and ABS wont like that.
What's the give and take in the ABS system as far as tire size? Two different brand tires of the same size can vary in size, and even inflation pressures make a difference. Also, your wheels aren't always straight when the ABS kicks in. Does anybody have any data as to how much of a difference triggers problems in the ABS?

"Never admit to breaking the law. That's "license revoking" speed."
He admitted to driving 120 mph, not to breaking the law. I have video of me doing 120 mph, but it was on a closed circuit. On the other side of things, I've never driven over 100 mph on public roads.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
10% difference in rolling circumference trips the light, causing the system to deactivate and illuminate the light on the dash.
On the datastream for example, if the ABS module saw 3 tires at 20 MPH and one at 22, it would request a fault code to set in the PCM.

And under 3 MPH is where signal loss due to increased reluctor wheel air gap causes the dreaded "Unwanted ABS Activation at Slow Speeds".