Timing cover 97 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricky8680

Reaction score
Hey y'all,I have a older metal timing cover down in my parts bin (unused),was just wondering if I could use that on my 97 vortec 5.7,I do believe it needs the whole for the crank sensor,which I can drill,anything I should know?

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From memory (I can check if needs be) it's quite a deep boss the CPS is set into (if you're replacing a plastic cover). You'll have to recreate that on a metal one.

Why do you want to bin the plastic cover?

Ricky8680

Reaction score
Gonna do a cam swap,timing chain etc the "works",IIRC they are one use items?

(+I'm cheap,why buy another cover if I don't need to,unless I need to obviously lol)

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't believe they are interchangeable, but have heard of people re-using them. My mechanic replaced mine on my 4.3 years ago because it was leaking. Had to go the dealership. Around $65 IRC.

Looks like Dorman 635-505 is a replacement for $33. And Felpro #2335 is a gasket only for $13?

What happened to yours Pinger? Looks like it got hit by a baseball bat!?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
IIRC it was a crankcase explosion caused by LPG getting where it shouldn't. If you look closely at the picture, you can see where it says "replace assembly upon removal". Seems to me since they are plastic, they are prone to heat warping. That'll make big leaks.
When I did the timing job on the other 99 Burb, back in 2007,Dad bought a new cover from Chevrolet. Think it was $58, but they were probably the only place to buy it then.
Pinger is correct on the big,deep boss on the bottom left of the cover where the crankshaft position sensor is located. There's also a threaded hole where the bolt that holds the bracket in place goes. You have to have the CPS in the correct position and location for it to work properly, and if it doesn't, the truck won't start or run.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crankcase explosion.
Primed with LPG (propane) as they are with early mixer systems, an inlet backfire visited downstairs. If the hood had been open at the time, I reckon my dipstick would be orbiting the moon by now.

Ricky8680

Reaction score
Appreciate the input guys. Now,since I have a small crowd,I need a little input on EVERYTHING I should do since I'll tearing things down,so far the current list is:
Lifters,rods,cam,got a gasket set(gonna do as many as possible without pulling the motor),
Got a 0411 to swap in,all ignition stuff is new,doing a full pump,new coolant,ditching the front axle to run the extra large oil filters,anything else I should do?

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Appreciate the input guys. Now,since I have a small crowd,I need a little input on EVERYTHING I should do since I'll tearing things down,so far the current list is:
Lifters,rods,cam,got a gasket set(gonna do as many as possible without pulling the motor),
Got a 0411 to swap in,all ignition stuff is new,doing a full pump,new coolant,ditching the front axle to run the extra large oil filters,anything else I should do?
AFR heads, jba headers, supercharger

Sent from my Samsung S20 using Tapatalk