Time to replace my compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
First drive of the day drove it today to Lowes to get some bolts to reattach the wiper reservoir thats not been in the truck since I bought the truck because nothing worked (it was a multitude of switches that were bad) and todays thing is to definitely clean the evap core. its currently 79º and 98% humidity and it was blowing 58º. I dont want to keep connecting the manifold gauges. even if it doesnt let a lot out its still losing pressure each time. I know there were leaves in it recently because I accidentally blew some in at the cowl and I could hear them for a few days. I also doubt its ever been cleaned. the guy I bought the truck from never really drove it and within 4 or so months of having it I had probably replaced 20 switches and sensors that were bad. nothing electrically worked on the truck. it drove great but nothing worked.

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just cleaned the evaporator core. And did one last check since its about 82º and 75% humidity.

I would say its cleaner than I thought. I took some purple power and a soft rag and the hose on low and got it as good as I could without tearing it up or puncturing it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Static pressure is about 96 Low and 99-100 High

The readings while running for about 10 minutes is 44 low and 212 high at 82º ambient temperature thats pretty good. r134a is rated (80°F Ambient temperature: Low side pressure 40-50 psi High side pressure 175-210 psi).

Center vent reads 60º. I wanted to do this one last time so I knew while testing that everything was clean and in check. I touched the evap core and it was cold but I would expect it to be colder to the touch.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what temps are you getting?

I still need to clean the evap core because the accumulator gets so cold to the touch so I know the freon going through the evap is nice and cold
This summer is slightly worse than i.e. last year-but first-we had really high temps for this time of the year. Second-I wasn't using AC since last summer so it's cranking up lol-mind ya it's always been a bit slow on the start up.
Third-I have dual system in the Tahoe with "experimental"rubber/copper hoses running to the back(original ones crapped up on me on mulitiple occasions when I was bringing the system back to life so thinner one has a spliced in copper pipe, thicker one is rubber AC hose on original fittings).
Fourth-since last summer I have a reservations as to how well the valves for refills are holding-gotta check the levels of refrigerant in the system.
Fifth-I never drive it far enough. But tomorrow we go to see Euro Nascar again,so will put it to a "family test"-and will take it from there.
But what I'm happy about, is that it's still working well enough-it's been a bit of a fight with the rear part of a system,as I got stubborn to have both front and back work, and replacing those pipes is not a matter of simply buying replacement(which you can get but prolly would have to raise the body off of the frame to put on). Nobody sells AC hoses in the UK,so I had to source it from abroad. Finding a workshop to put the rubber hose on fittings was also an issue,as craftsmanship is dying.

As to temperatures,I tested them I think 2 years ago after refill(can't remember the read outs) but it was cold enough to make my wife cover her knees(due to an awesome(NOT)placement of the dash vents)-it certainly gives me, what I call "a frost bite"-hard to explain,as it's a subjective feeling, but when I put my hand on the vent I must feel it reaching the flesh under my skin-then I know it works as it should.