Time to replace my compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am making a new post because this is slightly different than the posts that came up when I searched.

My compressor is dying and getting very hot. Its making a weird noise. I bought a new compressor, accumulator and pressure switch that goes on the accumulator and orifice tube today but as soon as I left the parts store I realized I need more.

The kit that had the accumulator and orifice tube also has o rings but theyre green and I read online that I need black o rings.

Where can I get a kit for black o rings?

my ac was working up until a week ago. it technically still works but is loud and not as cool now. around 60º. I am putting r12 back in the system so I dont need to replace the condenser and hoses and all that I assume?

Anything else I need other than mineral oil? I have a 3 pound tank of r12

Since the kit they sold me was for r134a is the orifice tube good for r12?

1993 Sierra c1500

Last edited:

Kawabuggy

Reaction score
Let us know how your project goes. I have had ZERO luck getting ANY of the after-market compressors from O'Reillys to last more than a year. They ALL seem to start leaking at the case halves where the two sections of the compressor body are pressed together. I always use dye when charging my system, and every year I'm replacing my "lifetime" warranty A/C compressor because I'll be changing the engine oil and see green dye dripping out of the compressor body... Every.... Single.... Year...... If you get a compressor that does not leak, please post what brand, and where you bought it, and let us know if it is still leak free in a year.

Blp378

Reaction score
I am making a new post because this is slightly different than the posts that came up when I searched.

My compressor is dying and getting very hot. Its making a weird noise. I bought a new compressor, accumulator and pressure switch that goes on the accumulator and orifice tube today but as soon as I left the parts store I realized I need more.

The kit that had the accumulator and orifice tube also has o rings but theyre green and I read online that I need black o rings.

Where can I get a kit for black o rings?

my ac was working up until a week ago. it technically still works but is loud and not as cool now. around 60º. I am putting r12 back in the system so I dont need to replace the condenser and hoses and all that I assume?

Anything else I need other than mineral oil? I have a 3 pound tank of r12

Since the kit they sold me was for r134a is the orifice tube good for r12?

1993 Sierra c1500

I’m sure someone can correct me but I think harbor freight has a mixed o ring set.you could try to match one at least close to the one you need.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might check with " Four Seasons " AC people, but all AC orings are green now, to be compatible with refrigerant, but I haven't serviced an R12 system in over 20 years.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed a GPD scroll type compressor in my 94 in 21. Still blowing very cold. But it's not R12. Rockauto purchase.

SomeTahoe

Reaction score
Let us know how your project goes. I have had ZERO luck getting ANY of the after-market compressors from O'Reillys to last more than a year. They ALL seem to start leaking at the case halves where the two sections of the compressor body are pressed together. I always use dye when charging my system, and every year I'm replacing my "lifetime" warranty A/C compressor because I'll be changing the engine oil and see green dye dripping out of the compressor body... Every.... Single.... Year...... If you get a compressor that does not leak, please post what brand, and where you bought it, and let us know if it is still leak free in a year.
I've heard decent things about Sanden compressors, but that is literally hearsay from me until I get around to replacing mine that's slowly leaking in the same place you described.