Throwing ideas around - LS swapped Tahoe, built for mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a previous V6 owner. There wasn’t a V6 LS(though that would have been awesome). It was a great engine, but it couldn’t tow anything. Made decent low end torque, hated a trailer, I also had the 5spd and never got better than 16mpg. I’d get the Tahoe, do an exhaust, high flow air filter, maybe a black bear tune.

This is why I don't like the fabled torque monster low-end power making engines of years past. The LS might be reving higher, but it gets up the hills better because it makes more horsepower.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heck. If you want reliability, decent power and gas mileage. Swap in a 1uz-fe like my Lexus has. Or a 2 or 3uz-fe. All are V8’s. Otherwise just leave the 350.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a L20 4.8/6l90 would be a perfect swap for you, cheap, reliable(no afm or dod) and good on gas while still having decent power when needed.
Edit: also the 6l90s deep first gear allows you to run a rear gear such as a 3.08 while still having decent off the line performance(not that off the line performance would matter much in a family car)

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Heck. If you want reliability, decent power and gas mileage. Swap in a 1uz-fe like my Lexus has. Or a 2 or 3uz-fe. All are V8’s. Otherwise just leave the 350.

I would agree with reliability and depending on which of the 3, decent power...but not gas mileage. I daily drive a Tundra powered 2UZ in prime condition, and it isn't anything to write home about fuel economy wise, and I'm not lifted or on tall rubber.

OP give it a good tune-up, swap in the newer MPFI spider injector setup, stock size rubber (highway treads), and let it ride. You'll be money ahead!

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
So are you stuck on having a 400? Nothing wrong either way but they’re basically just as heavy as 4th gen GM full size SUV’s like 20-50lbs difference 400’s are lighter. So your not going to save a lot of weight since your looking to be comfortable on long 1600 mile trips. But if changing out gears and getting a 6-10 speed transmission would be imo be a good choice or like other guy said just change out gearing for real highway “mpg” and delete your drag that could be best simple solution and get you a set of lighter weight wheels with best mpg tire you can find? But if your driving long intervals you can save weight with 3/4 full tank helps also. But keep us updated

FLJoe

Reaction score
I'd question the return on investment. My 96 4 door Tahoe, which I've owned since nearly new and put over 500,000 miles on, consistently gets 16 MPG per tank, with an even mix of highway and city. Mine is a 4WD, factory tow package, and has LT 265 tires that I run about 40 PSI. It's the original engine, never been apart, but well maintained and in good overall shape. My point is you should expect more with a 2WD truck, tall gears and a tight engine. Not sure it's worth the marginal gain you might get with a different engine.