throttle body spacer ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is a tbi throttle body spacer a good mod ? Do they help or just a money grab ?
I looked around the forum and not really any thing about them. They are mentioned here and there. But not really said if they help or not.

Thanks.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked around the forum and not really any thing about them. They are mentioned here and there. But not really said if they help or not.

Thanks.

I always read that a TB spacer can help with the mixture (atomization) of the air/fuel on TBI setups... I have no data or experience to back that up. Just threads I have crossed in the past.

Personally, I would spend the money elsewhere... Maybe someone else has direct experience that can recommend doing it?

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a Spectre TBI spacer for about 1/3 normal retail on eBay, also installed an injector riser, open element air cleaner and a “salad bowl” airflow enhancer at the same time. While I don’t buy into it freeing up any HP I have definitely noticed a quicker throttle response. Only other benefit of a spacer IMO is added clearance under the TB makes it easier to find an air cleaner that fits. The Spectre comes with the fuel line extensions which are a necessity unless you have flexible fuel lines. Also will need some kind of a spacer under the throttle cable bracket to keep everything in line, I simply used stacked washers to get about 3/4 inch of lift on the bracket. I wouldn’t pay $100 for a TB spacer but for $25 I don’t regret it.

Put pics of mine in this thread

The Engine **** Thread
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...400.com/index.php?posts/1021477/&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put on an aluminum one a few years ago when I did the ultimate TBI mods. I noticed very little difference in throttle response or gas mileage or anything, but it is nice having more space around there. Way easier to disconnect vacuum lines from the TBI.

You can also get cheap phenolic resin ones, they are supposed to insulate the TBI from heat. It is of course fuel injection, so that probably doesn't matter.

Now there are some guys who claim they picked up 20hp and 5mpg, I have had no such luck, so I wouldn't recommend one unless you want more space to put on an open element air cleaner.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I plan on putting a aftermarket intake anyways. But I was just wondering if a spacer would be beneficial or not along with the intake.
Also gonna use a flat base open air cleaner.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought the CFM tech one was the only one dyno proven to add some power.
I can recommend the Hypertec power charger (salad bowl). My 94 definitely would rpm better after I added it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought the CFM tech one was the only one dyno proven to add some power.
I can recommend the Hypertec power charger (salad bowl). My 94 definitely would rpm better after I added it.
I used an open center enter transdapt spacer to install a large base 454 TBI on my TBI 350. With the 454 TBI unit, Transdapt 2636 spacer, 454 air cleaner with its built in power bowl and larger ducting. I also added 1.6 full roller rockers. The engine already had tri-y headers, 2.5" to single 3" exhaust when it was baselined. Went from 177 HP to 204 hp at the tires with those changes.

93Z71

Reaction score

Thanks.
I installed one on my 93K1500 and noticed increased throttle response first time I drove it. It is a cheap mod. If you do it, get the kit with the 1" fuel extensions with it. Also, I just bought no-name brand at Auto parts store. You don't need the fancy vortec style spacer.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oddly enough, when dynoing the tbi engine this spring, we added a spacer I happened to have ended up with after a few runs without, it actually made a positive difference! I have to look at the sheets, but it was either 8hp and 10 ft lbs or I have them backwards.