Throttle Body shaft seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a '98 K2500 with L31 vortec engine. I recently performed a cam swap, and have been chasing a few vacuum leaks. I performed a smoke test on the engine, and found smoke coming out at the throttle body shaft spring area. I removed the TB from the engine, and proceeded remove the throttle blade shaft from the TB. Once the shaft was removed, it was obvious the rotary shaft seal was hardened and no longer creating a good seal; thus my vacuum leak. I'm having a hell of a time finding the replacement seal. The dimensions I came up with using dial calipers are shaft diameter of 0.390", bore of 0.845", and seal length of 0.125".

Please advise if anyone has done this repair, and if you can provide p/n for the replacement shaft seal.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there is a steel backing ring which the rubber part fits into. Pretty sure I tore the rubber from the steel backing upon removal.

You must be registered for see images attach

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are hard to find. Found some for Mitsubishis. Still looking for the 350 though.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another option is to contact National Oil Seals (Timken) and pray someone answers who is willing to take the time to research. However, don't we have a GM engineer on this forum?

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Lmao, thanks Peter.

From what I can see in the OEM/Dealer world, that seal was never a serviceable component. I broke down the TB and had the IACV seal, but no throttle shaft seals. If worse comes to worse, you can try finding an NOS of the TB, I will list the 3 OEM #'s for 1998.

17096253 (discon in 2000)
17097213 (discon in 2005)
17113389 (discon in 2016)

The three numbers above have long been discontinued. But you can also like was suggested talk with Timken, or hell go to the parts stores they normally have paper seal books that you can look through and find one that matches what you need.