Thoughts on Bug Guards

Discussion in 'Paint / Body / Detailing' started by 98chevy2500SS, May 15, 2018.

1. 98chevy2500SS

98chevy2500SS Custom Conversion Freak

Thought about recently getting a bug guard for my truck to help against bugs from ruining the paint and/or chips from rocks hitting it. (I have read that bug guts are acidic and can ruin paint?) But I don't know if I'll like the look of it with my SS theme. I love how these trucks are without them, nice and clean, but I also like them on the trucks. What are your guys' thoughts on em and if they are worth around $50 for one? The one I'm looking at is a AVS bug guard. I have a gift card at an auto parts store that I need to use up on something...

Thanks!

2. Wade

Wade I'm Awesome

I have one in my garage, and I haven't installed it. I personally think they look a little tacky.

3. ima93chevyguy

ima93chevyguy Zip-Tie Mechanic

The slim line ones or whatever they're called look the best.
    Personally I don't care for them but if I had to recommend one it would be the slim one because the regular ones are super bulky and look very tacky.
    But I feel like it would damper the SS theme a little.
    However on a black truck it wouldn't be as noticeable so.... :shrug:

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    98chevy2500SS likes this.
  4. 98chevy2500SS

98chevy2500SS Custom Conversion Freak

Thanks for the responses.

I agree with what you said @Wade, they can look kind of tacky, especially the super large ones.

I agree with you @ima93chevyguy, the slim ones do look nice, but I thought it would damper the SS theme as well. When I see them on black trucks they look cool.

Well, I think that answers my question, I don't think I'll be getting one. Thanks!!

ima93chevyguy likes this.
  5. skylark

skylark I'm Awesome

FUGLY!

6. joep88cheyenne

joep88cheyenne I'm Awesome

Looks are the downside. They do help keep the windshield cleaner though by directing some airflow upward rather then along the hood.

7. df2x4

df2x4 Domestics only.

X2 to what skylark said. Plus, the majority of them install with self tappers on the front edge of the hood. Which creates a great spot for rust to develop after you realize how ugly it is and take it off. Ask me how I know...

98chevy2500SS and Jay33089 like this.
  8. Wade

Wade I'm Awesome

Another alternative is a Rustoleum rock guard, It is a clear peel coat that is meant to protect against rock chips and bugs.

9. RichLo

RichLo I'm Awesome

Mine came with one and I dont mind the look so I left it but I wouldn't personally put one on a truck. Self tappers is the biggest turn off but its also a pain to wash under it! Especially if you wax, always leaves something under it that drives me crazy until the truck gets dusty again and it blends in.

10. Oldblue98

Oldblue98 Supporting Member

It is love bug season in the sand pit right now, and I just don't drive Blue until they are gone ! No bug shield for me.

98chevy2500SS and Twin4573 like this.