Thoughts on Bug Guards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Thought about recently getting a bug guard for my truck to help against bugs from ruining the paint and/or chips from rocks hitting it. (I have read that bug guts are acidic and can ruin paint?) But I don't know if I'll like the look of it with my SS theme. I love how these trucks are without them, nice and clean, but I also like them on the trucks. What are your guys' thoughts on em and if they are worth around $50 for one? The one I'm looking at is a AVS bug guard. I have a gift card at an auto parts store that I need to use up on something...

Thanks!

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
The slim line ones or whatever they're called look the best.
Personally I don't care for them but if I had to recommend one it would be the slim one because the regular ones are super bulky and look very tacky.
But I feel like it would damper the SS theme a little.
However on a black truck it wouldn't be as noticeable so.... :shrug:

Last edited:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I agree with what you said @Wade, they can look kind of tacky, especially the super large ones.

I agree with you @ima93chevyguy, the slim ones do look nice, but I thought it would damper the SS theme as well. When I see them on black trucks they look cool.

Well, I think that answers my question, I don't think I'll be getting one. Thanks!!

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks are the downside. They do help keep the windshield cleaner though by directing some airflow upward rather then along the hood.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 to what skylark said. Plus, the majority of them install with self tappers on the front edge of the hood. Which creates a great spot for rust to develop after you realize how ugly it is and take it off. Ask me how I know...

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another alternative is a Rustoleum rock guard, It is a clear peel coat that is meant to protect against rock chips and bugs.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Mine came with one and I dont mind the look so I left it but I wouldn't personally put one on a truck. Self tappers is the biggest turn off but its also a pain to wash under it! Especially if you wax, always leaves something under it that drives me crazy until the truck gets dusty again and it blends in.