Third brake/ cargo light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Recently noticed that my third brake light and cargo lights on my 96 stopped working. The bulbs are new and the switch seems to be getting power as far as I can tell. Is it a common problem for these trucks to have a break somewhere in the wires from the switch to the lights?

RobMaier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was removing mine to replace with led model there was some serious damage to the connectors and wiring due to overheating. Up to that point everything was completely stock, so not sure what the cause was.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Recently noticed that my third brake light and cargo lights on my 96 stopped working. The bulbs are new and the switch seems to be getting power as far as I can tell. Is it a common problem for these trucks to have a break somewhere in the wires from the switch to the lights?

The most common failure, not the ONLY possible cause, but most common, is the "circuit board" (really just flat copper strips molded into the plastic) in the lamp housing corrodes internally and you really just can't tell. You can test for power at the connector.. if it's getting there, then it's pretty clear where the problem is.

Richard

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
The most common failure, not the ONLY possible cause, but most common, is the "circuit board" (really just flat copper strips molded into the plastic) in the lamp housing corrodes internally and you really just can't tell. You can test for power at the connector.. if it's getting there, then it's pretty clear where the problem is.

Richard

Agreed, my brake light works but cargo doesn’t, getting 12v at the incoming pins to the circuit board with switch on but nothing at the light sockets , which leads me to conclude the problem is the green corroded copper between the two points…unfortunately it is embedded in the white plastic board housing so I see no way to clean/ repair.