Thinking about sas swapping my k3500 dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny89345

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As of now im trying to price it out before i jump into it. So from what ive read it seems like a 77-79 kp dana 60 is the way to go. I have no lift height set in stone. When Finding a differential do i need one that came from a dually truck?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending how big you wanna go you don't need the 78/79 60. That is the most expensive axle out there. The 86-up 60s are much cheaper and easier to find. Downfall is limited to 38s, as anything bigger could rub on the springs at full lock. Also, finding a dually axle is cheaper, many don't know that it's cheap and easy to convert a dually to single. The minimum lift is still 4-5", but if get crafty and make ur own brackets, could run Ford Superduty springs, heard they give relatively low lift.

Johnny89345

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont need bigger then 38s. Id be happy with 35s-37s. Maybe a 8-10" lift My main question is, do i need a dually front diff or can i buy a srw diff and just boot on the hubs? Im trying to keep this as cheap as possible

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thing to remember on 1 ton trucks, they sit higher than a 1/2. I did an SAS on an 89, ORU brackets, junkyard 4” springs, towered over 35s. Granted they were older n tread getting low, but compared to a swamper they run small. I put 36s on it and looked perfect. Brackets will give you 3”, so add that to whatever spring you use. 8-10” is still pretty big, the 89 got 8” springs for total of 11” or so n I ran 40” boggers. Im doing an SAS to 96 Yukon, going for 5-7” of overall lift. I’m not going over 35s, but I’m using 52s, n here they can give more than 4” of lift. But I’d rather have a touch more lift than too big a tire. IFS flexes different than a solid axle so need to account how the tire moves in the wheel opening. You usually can get a dually axle cheaper than a single, since most people want the single. I’ve seen a bunch on marketplace lately. Even found a front Dana 70, something been looking for since I knew what a front 60/70 was.....

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope. Hubs n rotors. I had an 86-ish high pinion 60 from a Pathfinder 4wd Ford van. Had dually hubs on it. I went to the junkyard, found an 80s F250 with the Dana 50 front end. Grabbed hubs n rotors, I went with 3/4 ton brakes so used GM rotors. But the hub, rotors and lockouts are the same between Dana 50 and 60. So, swapping to single to dually or vise versa is cheap n easy. Dually is wider, 72" I believe.