thinking about putting a new radio in any suggestions? (88-94)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jw6630028

Reaction score
I'm looking for something like 100-200~ bucks that's got some sort of Bluetooth capability, i just got the truck a few weeks ago so I'm new. the previous owner replaced the single din radio under the a/c vents so I'm looking to switch that one out, i saw the retro sound ones mentioned on another thread. Should I just save up and buy that one and replace the one in close to the gauge? or do you think i should replace the one in the center with a better unit. the current one is an old Kenwood that I'm willing to live with for the time being.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
The easiest and cheapest route to having Bluetooth is just swapping the single din out with one that has the capability. I've used Alpine in the past, something like the Alpine UTE-73BT for $119.95 at Crutchfield. This model has no CD capability, but is Bluetooth and hands free calling capable. I've posted about my Retrosound swap in other threads, including on my truck page. It's a much more involved swap and more money. I did the Retrosound swap because I wanted my interior to look as factory as possible. I don't think the sound quality would be much different with either to the untrained ear, however true audiophiles may argue differently.

Since you already have a single din and apparently don't mind that I would assume, I'd probably go for changing that out with a BT receiver.

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And with the single din route you can get a cubby hole for the radio control by the guages or add a panel for switches, another guage or whatever else you could mount there.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
A Sony head unit generally has a more sensitive tuner which may be a consideration if you listen to broadcast radio a lot.

I put in a used Alpine headunit to get Bluetooth and was surprised at how much better it sounded than the Pioneer I took out.

I used Kicker 4x6 speakers (4x10 in the rear pillars. Don't do that!) with a Dual brand 10" powered sub from Walmart.
With that setup the music is loud and clear even on the highway @70 mph. The speakers are inexpensive and really upped the clarity. Just don't expect much bass from a 4x6 or for that matter any 2,3, or4 way speaker. Component speakers are much better but they cost more. The Kickers are fine for me.

I got the sub for free. It's really too big even in a crew cab. I was planning to get an 8" powered sub when I was given the 10" one.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a bluetooth Kenwood with CD and phone in my truck and one just like it in a Van I own. The hands free phone is really nice and is a good safety upgrade. I installed mine in the center position and it works fine. As others have noted, the cubbyhole spot is a good place to mount a small GPS or backup camera screen in place of the old Radio.

In your case, since you already have an old single DIN Kenwood a new one with more options would likely plug rught in to the adapter already installed, making it one of the easiest installations you could possibly do.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In your case, since you already have an old single DIN Kenwood a new one with more options would likely plug rught in to the adapter already installed, making it one of the easiest installations you could possibly do.

X2.

Plus according to some recent research I did (and some helpful tips from other members here) Kenwood is now making the best-optioned single DIN CD players on the market IMO, at least in regard to sound quality related features. Here's the thread with some more info on that subject.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/high-end-vehicle-cd-receivers-going-away.58797/

I'm hoping that Pioneer and Alpine bring a nice single DIN CD player back to their lineups that will compete someday, but as things are right now I think the Kenwood KDC-X704 is about the best single DIN CD player you can buy new. It's on the higher end of your budget, but it's a really nice unit and checks all your boxes.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX704/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X704.html

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a later version of the ones I have in my trucks. Essentially the same except I don't have the Alexa app (and never will). It is an excellent radio and will power regular speakers just fine. It also works with an XM tuner if you wish as well as being able to handle an amp and a sub.

Pretty sure it will just plug right in to the harness already in your truck.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a single-DIN in WCJr because I didn't want a big touch-screen panel, but it has the same problems of all single-DINs. The buttons are tiny and confusing, and you have to cycle through all the settings to get anything done. I don't like doing anything with the stereo while I'm driving. I'm going to go ahead and get a double-DIN for Roscoe.

Jw6630028

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone, i'll probably be going with the either the KDC-X305 or the KDC-BT382U. Cant really tell the difference between them but they seems basically the same (at least according to crutchfield), ill probably order it and let everyone know how the install goes afterwards. definitely wasn't expecting this much feedback so quickly, really appreciate the advice!

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone, i'll probably be going with the either the KDC-X305 or the KDC-BT382U. Cant really tell the difference between them but they seems basically the same (at least according to crutchfield), ill probably order it and let everyone know how the install goes afterwards. definitely wasn't expecting this much feedback so quickly, really appreciate the advice!
I was curious and looked up the two options. At a quick glance, the KDC-BT382U has a separate output for a subwoofer if that's something you may want now or in the future. One reasons I chose the more expensive Retrosound unit was for the separate subwoofer output. I already had a Bazooka powered sub and it allowed for easy install.