Thinking about getting a redhead steering box. ratio question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

luconi

Reaction score
I've been contemplating about upgrading to a redhead steering box in my 1998 K1500. I basically plan on keeping the truck stock. I replaced the entirety of my front suspension recently with new pars including a newly rebuilt a/c delco steering gear (yes I replaced the rag joint too) and it's better... but I would like something with a bit more snappier steering.

https://redheadsteeringgears.com/product/1997-1999-chevy-gmc-pickups/

I was thinking about going to 12:1 when I order one... Is it a night and day positive difference when compared to stock 15:1?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I would stick to the stock ratio on a 4WD truck. They sit higher than a 2WD from the factory so their center of gravity is naturally higher which makes them more prone to rollover incidents with too much steering input at high speed. I know some others here have done it though.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had a redhead box for about 2 years now. I'm happy with it. I have a k1500 2 door Yukon, so my wheelbase is slightly shorter, but I feel like the 12:1 would be too much. Rather than go with the tighter ratio box, I recommend looking into a rag joint delete. I got one from Cunningham, who is a forum sponsor. It tightens thing up quite a bit, the only downside is the pump makes more noise under regular driving.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently got the quick ratio, it's not as much difference as I hoped. If I were to do it all again, I'd just go with one of the rack and pinion options.