Thermostat Housing/Bolts Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arts89Iroc

Reaction score
Whats up yall! Today while loosening the bolts on the thermostat housing one of them snapped off. So my question(s) is, what size of bolts do i need to replace both of them (might as well replace the other one right)? Does ARP make housing bolts or sell a kit for it? Do i need a felpro gasket when replacing the thermostat? if so, whats the part #? The housing seems to be in ok shape, but should I go ahead and replace it to? Sorry for all the questions, still new to this site, so be patient with me. Thanks!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So you were able to remove the broken bolt, okay?

I'd probably go with factory bolts, if availble, if you've got the one that looks like a stud with a nut in the middle. Otherwise, just take the good one with you up to the hardware store and buy a couple that are the same lenght, diameter, and thread, in a high grade... SAE Grade 8, or Metric 10.9.

I wouln't change the housing unless it's in bad shape.

As for the gasket, just have the parts store look it up, or look it up yourself on thier website.

Arts89Iroc

Reaction score
Yes I was able to remove the broken piece, the one in the nut in the middle is still ok, the other bolt is the one that snapped off. Thanks for the heads up!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That's weird that would break..... is the area heavily corroded Did it sit exposed to the weather? When reassembling make sure the threads on the bolts and in the intake are clean, and use anti-seize during reassmbly.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the gasket mating area on the thermostat is rough, you can lay it on a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and clean it up, but if the inside is eaten away, put it in your aluminum recycling bin.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Interesting post - Thought I would share that my 98 started an ever so slight tiny leak and figured maybe the water pump - nothing there around the housing then saw fresh clean bright green coolant around the thermostat housing - went to replace the thermostat because I figured the rubber gasket was bad. Diving in I thought "Wow, this first bolt is really loose as the second one was very ornery. Needless to say, one bolt degraded and wasn't doing much at the time which is why the small leak. The broken bolt was not coming out with vice grips or PB Blaster so off to Harbor Freight to buy my first welder (HeliCoil option was on standby just in case) - Got it out and oh what a feeling - she is back on the road and with the new GM bolts.