The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Ok, I know this question has to fit here perfectly, But here I go,

If you were planning on bagging your truck, and didn't have everything ready to go, would it be possible to put coils in place of your air bags in rear to have a rear coil suspension setup, then when you have the bags, compressors, lines, tanks etc. ready to put in, you could swap out the coil springs for all that?

If you were to go about ding that with a four-link setup would it increase the handling abilities of the truck, or ride much worse compared to the stock leaf springs?

Those are just some ideas/ questions floating around in my head.

Thanks for the time to look at them.

~CodyB

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're going to need specific mounts for the coilovers but if you're fabbing a whole rear supension im sure you could handle it.

If set up right the bags or coils will ride and handle much better than leaves.

Good coils are expensive I would probably just pick if you wanted more show or more go. Or you can get fancy air coils that are an in between.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
I was thinking another set of front coils from the junkyard kind of as a band-aid if I am gonna drop the hammer on this.

Honestly I don't think I'm gonna bag the truck, but I'm dreaming/planning as if I was going to do it.

I was dreaming a 4 link wishbone with a panhard bar and the bags/coils behind the axle opposite of the linkages. Ive read around and that seems to be just about the best riding setup from my limited research. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to them. My goal is to do little modification to the bed to make it appear as if its still a stock floor with as little height loss to the bed. I'd prefer to not put a tunnel in it.

I'm mostly just dreaming here, but hey I might get it planned up enough to actually drop the hammer on it.

Where do most people put an engine driven air compressor on the '96-'99 OBD2 L31 Engines? I wanna try to keep as many creature comforts as possible a.k.a. the A.C. and not have to rearrange too muc under the hood.

I want to plan to be able to tuck a set of 22"s - 24"s.

Thanks,
~CodyB.

C. Hoag

Reaction score
CodyB,
Do you have any pictures or information of this said set up? The bags behind the axle. .

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
i would wait until you have the money, i saved until i had enough to do the back of mine, i personally dont like bag behind axle, its no better then bag over axle. meaning less travel,

i have a 4 link with panard on my truck, personally if i was going to do it again i would have saved and gotten the 6 link kit. with the watts link. i think its a much better fool proof setup

C. Hoag

Reaction score
I was talkin bout pictures of this set up. And i agree kuhl, if its like BOA it sucks. It puts all the weight on the axle and is gonna ride like ****

Reaction score
I was talkin bout pictures of this set up. And i agree kuhl, if its like BOA it sucks. It puts all the weight on the axle and is gonna ride like ****

IMO they arent that bad with the right bag and shcok combo. The only thing I would run BOA is on a dually with a fifth wheel setup. The ride amazing.

mitch.g

Reaction score
hey guys im new here, iv had a couple of lowered chevys in the past 2 years but i always ended up buying them like that. i just got another truck and its at stock height right now but its c-notched and everything it used to be pretty low. i dont know how low exactly but i have the drop coils that used to be in the truck. i was wondering how to go about lowing the back end to where it used to be.