The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you're a big 'ol boy, it's more than a two man lift. I propped my stepside bed up to do the fuel pump several years ago. It was before I injured my shoulder, and I had one of my kids who was a PT leader for JROTC helping me. We still called in my wife and daughter to get the bed tipped up and braced

That's whay I was just gonna unbolt the bedsie it self and remove the sides and leave the bed on. I have a hoist and I 'MIGHT" could rigt something up to the top of my shop and lift the bed but that's a lot of weight. looks like a couple bolts and the actually bedside comes off. It's not as much room as removing the entire bed but better than nothing.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So got the bedsides off but aparently my front hangers are lost in the mail.

I was gonna go ahead and cut the factory front springs but wanna wait until the rear gets on the ground.

1 full coil from what I've read equals right at 2" correct?

I was gonna go spindles bu tthis truck isn't a daily driver after all and gets driven to work once a week,

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck has been 2/4 lowered and front suspension has been changed out to ridtech. Just noticed that as I turn left my front left side lifts. Is this normal? It doesn't seem normal but then again, that's why I'm here.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck has been 2/4 lowered and front suspension has been changed out to ridtech. Just noticed that as I turn left my front left side lifts. Is this normal? It doesn't seem normal but then again, that's why I'm here.
Left side lift? Or right side dip? Does the wheel come off the ground? Do you have big sway bars? Is the ridetech bags or coil overs? Auto cross or normal driving?

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Left side lift? Or right side dip? Does the wheel come off the ground? Do you have big sway bars? Is the ridetech bags or coil overs? Auto cross or normal driving?
Lifting when turning left, the truck is lifting not the wheel/tire, and this is while stationary. Stock sway bar, coil overs with no bags, and strong arms.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lifting when turning left, the truck is lifting not the wheel/tire, and this is while stationary. Stock sway bar, coil overs with no bags, and strong arms.
turning the wheel full lock while standing still, the truck seems to lift up towards the end of the stroke?

Yea I’d say that’s normal. It probably does it the other way too it’s just not as noticeable because you’re closer to the fulcrum. I think it has something to do with caster and instant center? Or maybe it’s camber and scrub radius… idk, my truck does it and I’ve noticed it in other vehicles.

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Positive caster + SAI (steering axis inclination) cause the spindle to rotate in an arc, so it’s lifting more weight on one side than the other, which gives the steering more returnability coming out of a turn. That’s why vehicles without power steering zero to maybe 1-2 degrees of positive caster. @Orpedcrow you're on the right path for sure. If the truck was aligned with higher than “normal” caster values it can be more noticeable, but that gives it more straight line stability.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
turning the wheel full lock while standing still, the truck seems to lift up towards the end of the stroke?

Yea I’d say that’s normal. It probably does it the other way too it’s just not as noticeable because you’re closer to the fulcrum. I think it has something to do with caster and instant center? Or maybe it’s camber and scrub radius… idk, my truck does it and I’ve noticed it in other vehicles.
Not quite. From lock turned right it immediately starts lifting as I turn it left and continues that until lock. Turning back to the right the it goes lower, again all the way to lock.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite. From lock turned right it immediately starts lifting as I turn it left and continues that until lock. Turning back to the right the it goes lower, again all the way to lock.
Did the shop give you a print out of the alignment report after you had the suspension installed and an alignment done?

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did the shop give you a print out of the alignment report after you had the suspension installed and an alignment done?
Indeed

Edit: just noticed the date, this was actually before it was put in during diagnostics, so I think they might owe me an alignment

Attachments

• 20221224_151921.jpg
    20221224_151921.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 9