The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2/4 isn't worth the time, you'll end up with a 4/6 anyway. Buy a set of 2" drop shackles first, and see if you like it level. If you do, go with a 4/6.
You can do a search and see countless variations of wheels and tires at that drop height, pick what looks good to you and roll with it.
Ridetech stuff isn't the cheapest, but the quality and customer service have an excellent reputation. There's a reason Belltech have been making drop kits for 400's since they were a new truck, you can't go wrong there.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're lowering for handling, don't go with 20" wheels. They're heavy and the lower profile tires will kill your ride. Also, you'll lose handling capability on any kind of rough road. Smaller wheels with fat sidewalls have more ultimate grip with less responsiveness. Larger wheels with short sidewalls don't conform as well to rough surfaces but 'feel' more sporty.
Ehhh I probably use to feel the same way before I went 20's. 17's are a nice middle of the road combo but there's nothing wrong with going 20's, with the exception of 20's that are heavy, cast Chinesium poo. Those feel like you're rolling around on Flintstones granite blocks. If you get quality forged wheels that are lightweight, 20's and some good tires net you some handling on these trucks with a drop.

I've run them on all 4 typical options - 15's, 17's (nice forged ones), 20's (heavy cast junk), and nice forged 20's. If I built another I'd run 20's again.

Camaro wheels aren't a bolt-on. Our trucks have the 5x5 bolt pattern while newer Camaros have the 5x120mm bolt pattern. You'll need adapters, which add even more unsprung weight.
Biggest issue here would be the backspacing. Throwing pattern change adapters in there on a dropped truck will probably put the tires into the fender lips regardless of how much you roll or trim them. Haven't tried those wheels and I have seen them on a couple dropped trucks but not much drop, and they looked dangerously close to the lips, and IMO just didn't look great for the fitment.

Richard

luisdbarrera

Reaction score
Hello, i’m new here. Here’s my 1994 c1500 long bed, i plan on lowering my truck sometime this year and would like some advice & input on how to lower this girl and (or attempt to) get the best ride quality possible. However truck is my daily driver, i don’t hold stuff in the bed at the moment but if i have to put something in the back i would like to be able to. Either want to do a 3/5 drop or 4/6 drop. I also have in consideration full custom rear suspension if that’s what i have to do but if i don’t have to then i won’t. Hopefully i made sense, sorry people this is my first post and first gmt400. Thank you. :)

Attachments

• 82197F29-3B36-4A10-B430-FC65447EE23C.png
    82197F29-3B36-4A10-B430-FC65447EE23C.png
    562.2 KB · Views: 12

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hello, i’m new here. Here’s my 1994 c1500 long bed, i plan on lowering my truck sometime this year and would like some advice & input on how to lower this girl and (or attempt to) get the best ride quality possible. However truck is my daily driver, i don’t hold stuff in the bed at the moment but if i have to put something in the back i would like to be able to. Either want to do a 3/5 drop or 4/6 drop. I also have in consideration full custom rear suspension if that’s what i have to do but if i don’t have to then i won’t. Hopefully i made sense, sorry people this is my first post and first gmt400. Thank you. :)
Welcome to the forum, long beds look great lowered!

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4/6 is pretty standard, spindles & springs up front, flip kit and frame notch out back, drop shocks sized and valved for the amount of drop, and it wouldn't hurt to get shock extenders for the rear to correct their angle. Belltech is how I would go, 100%, on the kit and the shocks.

Ride quality will be very similar to stock although slightly firmer due to the front spring rate and the drop shocks.

A lot of people new to dropping trucks fear doing the frame notch but it's really no big deal. It's easier with the bed removed, but not totally necessary; I'd suggest removing it though. The notch is critical to having enough rear axle travel before it smacks the frame, even if you don't load the truck down.

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4/6 is pretty standard, spindles & springs up front, flip kit and frame notch out back, drop shocks sized and valved for the amount of drop, and it wouldn't hurt to get shock extenders for the rear to correct their angle. Belltech is how I would go, 100%, on the kit and the shocks.

Ride quality will be very similar to stock although slightly firmer due to the front spring rate and the drop shocks.

A lot of people new to dropping trucks fear doing the frame notch but it's really no big deal. It's easier with the bed removed, but not totally necessary; I'd suggest removing it though. The notch is critical to having enough rear axle travel before it smacks the frame, even if you don't load the truck down.

Richard
Great write up/explanation, the only thing I'd add is mushroom style bumpstops to replace the factory ones.

luisdbarrera

Reaction score

Richard
Thank you for this information i’ve put this in my notes, what if i was ever going to put a 4 wheeler in the bed (yamaha blaster/raptor) would i be bottoming out nonstop or would i be good?