The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking at a set of 17x8 centerline wheels. They are for a 78 camaro so I will have to run 1” spacers to go from 5x127 to 5x120.65. Do you guys think these will fit with a 2/4 drop?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Looking at a set of 17x8 centerline wheels. They are for a 78 camaro so I will have to run 1” spacers to go from 5x127 to 5x120.65. Do you guys think these will fit with a 2/4 drop?

Should have no problems depending on the tire sizes. The concern would be more with the front than the rears.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should have no problems depending on the tire sizes. The concern would be more with the front than the rears.
I second this. Run a short enough of a tire and I don't think it'll be a problem. What method will you use to ower the back?

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I second this. Run a short enough of a tire and I don't think it'll be a problem. What method will you use to ower the back?

Back is on hangers and shackles with a c-notch for extra clearance.

Front is djm spindles

Dominick H

Reaction score
I have a kinda dumb question here. I have a 1990 Chevy c1500 scsb and I just put on a 3/4 belltech drop. The kit came with 3 inch shorter front coils and drop shackles with a front hanger. The truck looks ok right now but has a little to much rake for me. My truck has a overload lead do any of you know or have had experience with removing it from the leaf pack to achieve a lower stance in the rear? Also I’m pretty new here and don’t know how to really work this site yet..

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Don't do it.
Yes...it will provide about an inch more drop, but, on these trucks, anything more than a 4" drop requires notching the frame.

One of the worst things I did to my '98. I was going for that extra 1" drop to get a 4/7 drop. A 3" difference Fr>Rr is what these trucks need to ride level.
The over-load provides progression during suspension compression.
Without the over-load, I'd blow through the suspesnion travel & the axle tubes would be kissing the frame. ...and I even had an additional spring made-up to replace the over-load, but curved in the same direction as the rest of the spring pack. Nope. Wrong. Didn't work.
You can see that fabbed spring in these pix.

You must be registered for see images attach

So...I yanked that POS out & replaced the over-load & got the 1" drop back with a drop shackle.
Which you can't do, obviously due to the 4" drop already maxxed out on the shackle.
About the only way to get a 5" drop is to do a flip kit & then use a short shackle that would raise the 6" attained with the flip back up 5".
Those short shackles are available. 4X4 guys use them.
With a 5" drop, I'd highly recommend the shock extenders.
With a 5" drop, you would still HAVE to notch the frame, & maybe the box cross-member, too. Wouldn't have to be a notch from a kit. You could fab it out of a piece of 4" round tube stock. The backside of that would require boxing the frame to support that notch.
Done this way, you'll have to replace the drop hangars with the stock ones. Hope you kept them.

This is why I'll never do another 2/4 drop!
It's NOT low enough.
The install, with the box on, was an excersise in frustration.
And...It's NOT low enough.
Getting the pinion angle dialed in was a pita.
My blue '97 is at 2/4.
As soon as I pulled it outa the shop, my first though was...
It's just NOT low enough!

Dominick H

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I’ve seen some guys use the bell tech/ djm 6inch axle flip & c notch and go get that 1 inch lift shackle your talking about. Looks like that’s the route I might have to go! And the stock leaf spring hangers for the they have been thrown in the metal bin unfortunately...

Mjahn87

Reaction score
First, would I have fitment issues with my wheels on a 4/6 drop? 17x8 0 offset 4.5 back spacing.

Second, I currently have a 2/4 drop, Djm spindles, shackles, and hangers. What would be the best way to get to a 4/6 drop from here? Do I need to go to a flip kit and get some original shackles and hangers?

Alex98c1500

Reaction score
Hey I’m new on the forum.
I’ve got a 98 scsb it has a 4/6 drop shock extenders, notch, axle flip.
But it still has about a 2” rake. And would like to lower the rear just to level it out. Has the stock leaf pack. Was thinking about replacing the springs with a set of Eaton Detroit springs. To get another 2”. They claim they have the oe quality. But I don’t know anything about spring rate and the “qualifier” number I.e 2,300lbs. I hear that with lowering leaf springs you can get spring sag and what not. Would it be worth spending the extra$ for a nicer set?

That photo is from Eatondetroitspring. How do I know what lb rating to get for my truck