The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. 4/4 drop was my guess. I’ll look for some stock springs. I would be happy with 2/4 drop on this truck and some 454SS wheels with a 60 series tire.
I’ll look for springs, if you guys know a good source would appreciate it.
If you have any local FB groups for "OBS" trucks I'd bet you can find someone giving away a set of stock springs from a drop job they've done. Otherwise, might be tough finding these trucks in boneyards around Cali but you never know. A set of new springs is $100-up

Richard

Nephrodoc

Reaction score
As noted it looks like a 4/4 drop, you figured correctly - drop spindles and springs up front; drop hangers and shackles out back.

Your next move should be based on what you want the truck to do for you.

If you lowered the rear more so that it sits level, the air dam will still be low, but somewhat less of an issue since the truck won't be raked forward. The small rear tires would have less of a tiny appearance as the fender gap would close up. Pro: truck would look badass. Con: the best rear drop is a flip kit; you'd have to source stock hangers and shackles and swap those back in and the hangers suck to do. And you'd need to notch the frame.

Raising the front is pretty easy; either choose stock springs, or stock spindles. Either way is about the same amount of work. Then you'd be a 2/4 drop. Pro: less work/expense. Con: 2/4 might as well be stock height. ;) and you'd have big fender gaps showing off those tiny tires.

Richard
Thanks. Thought about flip kit. I have the stock shackles, would need the stock hangers. Still debating 2/4 vs 4/6.
What should I look for to identify the spindles?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. Thought about flip kit. I have the stock shackles, would need the stock hangers. Still debating 2/4 vs 4/6.
What should I look for to identify the spindles?
Two things you should pay attention to. Here's a pic showing C1500 stock spindles vs. drop spindles. Notice the axle location - it's near the center of the casting on the drop spindle, giving you the 2" drop. On the stocker, it's down low closer to the lower ball joint mount. Shiny new one with the blue cap on the threads is the drop spindle.

You must be registered for see images attach

When looking at C1500 spindles (stock OR drop) there's a critical choice as well - regular or HD brakes. For the 1988-1990 regular cab trucks, many of them were "regular" brakes which take a 1" thick rotor and have a shorter axle. If the truck was optioned with "HD" brakes, or was an extended cab (got HD brakes by default) then the axle is a little longer and accommodates a 1.25" thick rotor. The reason I mentioned 1988-1990 is from 1991-up, GM used the HD brakes regardless - but the catch is, either spindles will bolt up to all years of the C1500 trucks whether appropriate for the brake package or not, so you have to watch out for which spindles you're getting.

I don't have the specific measurement for the axle off hand but someone else might.

Choosing 2/4 vs. 4/6 is easy for me, and most of us that are fans of dropped trucks. Go 4/6. 2/4 never feels/looks like enough. But again it comes down to what you want from your truck.

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated above, there's a solid crew of guys here who live the low life, all of us would say variations of the same thing Richard said. Do what you want to make the truck yours. For instance I bought an AWD GMT900 last Thursday evening, on Sunday I went and bought a 4/6 drop for it. If I wasn't so busy at work it would already be installed. Only reason for not going lower is needing to retain front drive capability.

Nephrodoc

Reaction score
Two things you should pay attention to. Here's a pic showing C1500 stock spindles vs. drop spindles. Notice the axle location - it's near the center of the casting on the drop spindle, giving you the 2" drop. On the stocker, it's down low closer to the lower ball joint mount. Shiny new one with the blue cap on the threads is the drop spindle.

When looking at C1500 spindles (stock OR drop) there's a critical choice as well - regular or HD brakes. For the 1988-1990 regular cab trucks, many of them were "regular" brakes which take a 1" thick rotor and have a shorter axle. If the truck was optioned with "HD" brakes, or was an extended cab (got HD brakes by default) then the axle is a little longer and accommodates a 1.25" thick rotor. The reason I mentioned 1988-1990 is from 1991-up, GM used the HD brakes regardless - but the catch is, either spindles will bolt up to all years of the C1500 trucks whether appropriate for the brake package or not, so you have to watch out for which spindles you're getting.

I don't have the specific measurement for the axle off hand but someone else might.

Choosing 2/4 vs. 4/6 is easy for me, and most of us that are fans of dropped trucks. Go 4/6. 2/4 never feels/looks like enough. But again it comes down to what you want from your truck.

Richard
Looking at the pic of my spindle and if’s definitely the lowered version. Thanks for the info.

monsterwake

Reaction score
Just a personal thought. I would go to a stock spring and keep the lowering spindles on it. Of course that depends on the shocks you have.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Looks nice! Lowering spindles? Any rubbing issues with that rim/tire combo?
Fender lips are rolled.
All the pointy bolt ends sticking out inside the fender well have been ground down. Not required. Just the OCD kicking in.
Under hard suspension compression or when turning to the lock over things like speed bumps, the tires would rub the bottom rear of the fender well/firewall. Didn't do any damage to either the tires or the fender well in 10 years of being lowered. Just makes a terrible Bzz-zz-zzttt when the tires touched. Would remove some of the paint. Easy touch up with some Bumper Black or HotRod Black. (Aerosol. Always in the detail kit behind the seat.)
With the 15's, the LCA's needed a bit of a trim.
Again, 10 years and no probs with that. 10 years of 'me' driving the truck. HeHe. No cracks. No spreading.

Both sides of the arm get done.