The Stupid Lift Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well ****.

I guess I need to line up an appt back at the body shop.

JohnnyRingo

Shut your Butt
Reaction score
ya, the geometry of the lift/frame will be tweaked. i would probably get that frame fixed before you get a lift.

word. the rcx is the easiest to install also translation it goes with exactly how your truck SHOULD be. atleast you thought about it before your truck was out of commission and you didnt get it to work and got yourself in a pickle

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The body lift will work but your suspension will not. I had incredible trouble getting both my suspension kits on and off the big truck because I had beat it up so bad. Also even if it did it will ruin your expensive tires. It could be a bad alignment though?

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure, I know I hit HARD, and looked under the truck one day way after I got it back from the shop and they hacked it back together. I've contacted them about it and they say no matter what they'll make it good. I just haven't had time to take it back and leave it yet b/c then I'll have to get a rental truck and all that junk.

Reaction score
newbie here
how bad are the effects of torsion key lifts on the front end componets? ive had cranked bars for years and just put in 2 inch keys and block kit . im lookin to get a little more clearance for 32,s on 10 inch wheels. im not a fan of body lifts on street driven trucks . thanks

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMO i would stay away from cranking. its terrible on all your ball joints control arm bushings and cv shafts, i also think it looks bad in general if you key your truck up. to replace all those componats after about 2 months of driving like that ( which i have found to be the safe point for replacement where all those things wear to ) its going to cost around 900 bucks for labor, about 50-60 for an alingment, 50-60 per side for the cv shafts 170-180 for new ball joints, and about 100 for the bushings and possible replacement of your sway bar end links. thats about 1300 bucks worth of replacing parts that were good untill the truck got crancked up, so why not just buy a suspension lift or play it safe and get a 300 dollar body lift that doesnt alter any suspension geometry? think about it man! id go body lift if i were you. if your street driving it you dont need a suspension lift IMO and if you do a good job you can make a body lift look damn near stock! but thats my thoughts and experience.

k2500burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok I just bought 2in blocks for my 3/4 ton burb and was going to crank the torsion bars to make it level. now im scared cause i dont want stuff breaking from the stress. so instead i might do a 2 inch body lift but i had a couple of questions. 1: will it pull to much slack on brake lines, wires, etc. 2: wont it effect the 4wd linkage, e-brake, and gas filler neck. 3: the motor mounts are on the frame so the motor will sit 2 inches lower than everything else, wont that cause some overheating? any help would be great. Thanks

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A) ok I just bought 2in blocks for my 3/4 ton burb and was going to crank the torsion bars to make it level. now im scared cause i dont want stuff breaking from the stress.

so instead i might do a 2 inch body lift but i had a couple of questions.

1: will it pull to much slack on brake lines, wires, etc.

2: wont it effect the 4wd linkage, e-brake, and gas filler neck.

3: the motor mounts are on the frame so the motor will sit 2 inches lower than everything else, wont that cause some overheating? any help would be great. Thanks

A) As long as you only torque up the front end an inch or so, it won't do too much damage to your front suspension parts.

1. Body lfit should come with brake line extensions. ::: Wires, a little bit of tension, but most wires have some play in it for stress and torsion of the body and the frame.

2. 4WD linkage won't be affected, all of your linkage is in the frame itself, and not having to do with the body. I have never heard of any problems with the E-brake lines. The BL kit should come with an extension for your fuel neck as well.

3. Also haven't heard of any problems with over heating, but if you think you may have a problem, I suggest going with E-Fans then.

Well if you don't crank, what's the best way to get rid of texas rake then?

i guess that all depends on if that is the only thing your looking to do.

You can still crank a little bit, and If you're not too worried about overall height, you could look at lowering your back end a bit.