The Stupid Interior Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look on the right side of the console between the seats see if your missing a trim

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is it possible to make an interior of 95+ gm400 not to creak? Had the interior on my 91 square with only occasional creak from center console, while on 97 seems like everything is making some noise.

AshleySellsCars

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it possible to make an interior of 95+ gm400 not to creak? Had the interior on my 91 square with only occasional creak from center console, while on 97 seems like everything is making some noise.

You could take off the front dash trim but make sure to push down the 4-way / hazard button or you will break it off and it is frustrating to replace. Then you can put black electrical tape around each of the insert pins and reattached the Dash trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJ437

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Short Bed RWD automatic and I need to replace the dash harness. My truck has the digital climate control, radio, and equalizer. If I'm looking for one on ebay or the junkyard what year of trucks should I be looking at and I'm assuming it needs to be a truck with digital controls also right? Are Silverado harnesses compatible? This is my first post so hello and thanks.

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I have a 1993 Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Short Bed RWD automatic and I need to replace the dash harness. My truck has the digital climate control, radio, and equalizer. If I'm looking for one on ebay or the junkyard what year of trucks should I be looking at and I'm assuming it needs to be a truck with digital controls also right? Are Silverado harnesses compatible? This is my first post so hello and thanks.

All GMT400 dash harnesses from 92 to 94 are fairly identical. The HVAC harness is separate from the dash harness so you can replace the dash harness and leave the HVAC system alone... Unless that IS the problem, in which case you can get the HVAC harness by itself. Whether you have (or want) a 3 or 4 speed system will determine what vehicles to pull from: 92-early 93 were 3-speed (3 relays and a single connector blower resistor pack), late 93 through 94 were 4-speed (4 relays and a TWO connector blower resistor pack). No change in blower motors. The 92 displays may or may not support 4-speed mode. 93-94 definitely do (and as an aside, also support 3-speed system harnesses).

The stereo system doesn't matter, as the EQ support is determined by your central unit (CDM), not the dash wiring. Just curious why you need to replace the wiring?

CJ437

Reaction score
All GMT400 dash harnesses from 92 to 94 are fairly identical. The HVAC harness is separate from the dash harness so you can replace the dash harness and leave the HVAC system alone... Unless that IS the problem, in which case you can get the HVAC harness by itself. Whether you have (or want) a 3 or 4 speed system will determine what vehicles to pull from: 92-early 93 were 3-speed (3 relays and a single connector blower resistor pack), late 93 through 94 were 4-speed (4 relays and a TWO connector blower resistor pack). No change in blower motors. The 92 displays may or may not support 4-speed mode. 93-94 definitely do (and as an aside, also support 3-speed system harnesses).

The stereo system doesn't matter, as the EQ support is determined by your central unit (CDM), not the dash wiring. Just curious why you need to replace the wiring?
Yeah I guess I should of taken a closer look at the harness, to see what is separate from one another regarding the hvac ( I have a 3 relay pack btw). I'll inspect the hvac harness to see if it is still good. My cdm unit wasn't working for a few years before and I see mice chewed through the wires right where they come out of the unit (most likely why it stopped working lol) I'm gonna look for another one. Thanks for the insight, very much appreciated. So I guess it doesn't matter whether I get the harness out of a bare bones truck or one thats loaded. Does auto or manual truck make much of a difference?

The reason I'm replacing this harness is mostly because of a dumb mistake by me. This truck was my father's and I also drove it in high school, been in the family since the late 90's. But it sat outside most of its life and over the years mice have been using it for a winter home but wasn't anything a quick vacuum couldn't handle. Over the last few years it got completely overun by them (carpet, headliner, destroyed, mouse pee n n crap on everything inside). I want to restore this truck back to its former glory so last year I gutted the interior and completely bleached everything, it was so gross. Well I left the harness in a bucket of bleach too long and the fuse box and plug pins started to corrode from it. Also the harness was chewed on by mice and this truck always had a parasitic draw that I had not been able to pin point. So I figured starting from scratch would be a good idea. Sorry for the long story haha.

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting……Best I can recollect is the interior on my 91 creaked more than the interiors on my 96 and 97…….