The Stupid Interior Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I have a 1996 C1500 ext cab that used to have a custom overhead console. It was there when we bought it new. It is two maplights and a cigarette lighter and they all worked fine. It got pretty beat up so I took it down and got a stock overhead console instead. I got constant power from the dome light via the orange wire and ground from the white wire. I soldered in a two pin connector and plugged it to the stock connector on the console. The problem is the front maplights only work when I open the door or use the switch on the dash. They don’t work if I press the button on the console itself. This isn’t the case with the rear dome light. That works normally with no issues. Any ideas?

Video showing what I mean

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Connect the other wire (Black) to the body and the map lights will work fine.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Anybody ever installed a suburban dome light with the adjustable map lights in an ext cab

I have no idea how to make it work.....suburban map light have 3 wires and truck has 2 wires

You must be registered for see images attach

Easy Peasy. Orange to orange, White to White, Black to ground. The black wire is ground full time. the orange is hot (+12v) all the time, and the white is grounded when the doors open or you turn the dimmer all the way up. It lets many switches turn on the overhead light. GM likes to switch grounds.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
How deep are your pockets? Lol!
There's several factors in estimating the cost of covering a dash.
...and no matter how much experience or talent the upholstery guy has, that cost will always be an 'estimate'. An educated guess. There will usually be some sort of snag that will rear it's ugly head.
That can add costs in the form of added time &/or materials.
There are no patterns for this kind of work.
I've told some customers when they ask what the finished job will look like or how much is it going to cost..."I don't know, man. I'm just making this up as I go along." KInda funny to watch their eyes bug-out & hear their wallet go twang when I say that.
Anyways...
There's the material costs. Leather or vinyl quality? There's several ranges that that falls into, but as this is a dash, there are some requirements of the material that are absolute. It must be at least automotive grade. Marine grade is better. Mold & mildew resistant. U.V. stable. So...that means materials on the upper end of the price scale.
There's not a lot of material involved. 3 yards? Even still, the difference in cost between an 'average' material (vinyl)& the high-end stuff (leather) can be significant.
*Quick note on vinyl/leather prices.*
Vinyl is sold by the linear yard. 36"x54". That can run in the $35-$50/yard range. $150.00.
Leather is sold by the square foot. 18 sq.ft. = 1 linear yard. For a dash, the leather that would meet the requirements should be in the $10-$12/sq.ft. range. (Ready?) $540-$650!
...and I haven't even starting patterning yet, let alone stitching, let alone prepping the dash surface to be glued to.
Labour time? At least three 8 hour days. One for prep & patterning. The next would be cutting, stitching & test fitting. Last would be the actual covering. 24 hours. Probably more.
The reason for that amount of time is because the finished job has to be perfect. It's what you see the most in the whole interior. Any flaws are & will always be apparent. You'll see any & every flaw everytime you drive the vehicle.
Shop rate is $65/hr. for Joe Average walking in off of the street.
Multi-repeat customers, car club & forum members get charged $50/hr.

This is the kind of quality the job has to be.
Perfect patterning. Perfect stitching.

That's sexy right there!

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anybody know what this button is with the 2 brown wires????

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With two same-colored wires (GM would have used two different colors to differentiate power from ground), it’s likely not stock.

Best guess is an aftermarket kill switch.

Push it and see what happens, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With two same-colored wires (GM would have used two different colors to differentiate power from ground), it’s likely not stock.

Best guess is an aftermarket kill switch.

Push it and see what happens, lol.

Thanks for the response. I bet your right. Are you familiar with this system?

After reading it it says brown wire should be disarm switch. But I'm confused because I have a red and blue wire that goes to a led polarity light that arms or disarms the alarm?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like an aftermarket alarm system to me.

Our trucks didn’t have a horn blaring alarm - just the Passlock thing in the ignition in the later years.

Best bet is to try to find a model number on the label and see if you can track down a user manual online.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres some more pics. Tried to get all the functions on pic. Oh got the shock sensor and the led light I was talking about. Btw do you know where i can get another one. It doesn't flash anymore...

The button technically works just doesn't blink and cant find one like this. Lot of em I see online are dummy

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score