The Stupid Interior Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheyenne95

Reaction score
I got the power bucket seats wired up. For now I ran a wire to one of the two auxiliary posts on the fuse block under the hood. Since it appears the factory shared a 20 amp fuse between the cigarette lighter/power ports and the power seats, I used 20 amp fuse. Currently no seat heaters, just the power seats and lumbar. Next year I want to find a donor vehicle and transfer over factory power windows/locks/mirrors. At that time I'll install a complete factory power seat harness.

Still want to decode the convenience center, document how the factory used it for the various options/components.

Got the console installed as well. Similar to the seats, I was happy to see GM had marked where to drill for the console mounting hardware in the form of dimples in the floor.

Question for those of you with a factory installed center console. For the front mounting bolts, did the factory use weld nuts under the transmission tunnel? For now my front bolts are merely threaded into the floor with factory 6mm bolts. I can purchase some nuts to run on there but want to follow the factory. Wondering if they used weld nuts or perhaps a bracket under the floor to properly capture the bolts.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Question for those of you with a factory installed center console. For the front mounting bolts, did the factory use weld nuts under the transmission tunnel? For now my front bolts are merely threaded into the floor with factory 6mm bolts. I can purchase some nuts to run on there but want to follow the factory. Wondering if they used weld nuts or perhaps a bracket under the floor to properly capture the bolts.
IIRC, GM welded the nuts on the bottom for the front.

Cheyenne95

Reaction score
I recently swapped in a cloth rear split bench seat into my crew cab. I like the fold-down arm rest, but I wish it was also a console for my daughter to stow stuff in. Anybody know if the front 60/40 seat's center console (just the fold-down console piece itself) is the same size and same mount as the rear split bench fold-down armrest? Looking at pictures it appears it could be. If so, it would be a nice upgrade...if I can find a clean one for reasonable money.

long_bed

Reaction score
Anyone on here ever repaired their cracked dash? I'm considering yanking mine out, epoxying it back together, reinforcing weak points, and wrapping it with vynil or color-matching fabric(old school style). I'm a cheap *******, tired of rattling, and having a hard time finding local replacements. Local u-pull-it yards always get picked clean before I can get there if one's worth pulling. I've seen and am not crazy about the plastic cover and I do not want to cover it up with a dashmat.

Cheyenne95

Reaction score
No, I have not. But if you tackle it, consider doing a write-up with pics for the forum. I for one would be interested in how you go about it and the results. Just this past winter mine finally cracked, began to fail. Right in front of the driver, just out of sight. I didn't notice until I was cleaning the dash one day. Looks terrible.

I understand it is a chore to remove/replace it.

long_bed

Reaction score
No, I have not. But if you tackle it, consider doing a write-up with pics for the forum. I for one would be interested in how you go about it and the results. Just this past winter mine finally cracked, began to fail. Right in front of the driver, just out of sight. I didn't notice until I was cleaning the dash one day. Looks terrible.

I understand it is a chore to remove/replace it.

I hear ya, I've got about 4 cracks running across mine and it's very close to crumbling completely. It rattles and shakes like crazy on bumpy ground. I've seen some people accomplish this with the dash still in their vehicle, on other vehicles. It's going to be a pain but to get my truck right, I already need to pull my dash out for repairs to the A/C vents & stepper motors. I truly believe it's better for me to repair than replace as I'd probably break the replacement part in short order anyway. For sure, I'd definitely write up an article or make a video.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've covered many dashes over the years.
Multiple '50's Ford & GM pick-ups. (While the dash was still in the trucks, but with the windshield removed)
Ford Skyliners, Retractables & Continentals.
Many Camaros, Mustangs & late '50's to mid '60's T-birds.
Lots British sports cars.
A couple of Porsche's (A 356C & a 911) & a Pantera, too.
At least another 20 in Corporate Jets. (Called glare shields)
Some in vinyl, most in leather. Some were factory equipped with covered dashes, many weren't.
After all that experience, I would find covering a dash in a '95+ 400 not all that intimidating, but certainly time consuming. Time that the average owner would find to be excessively expensive. Lots of fitting, patterning & stitching of multiple pieces required in order to get the vinyl/leather to fit properly to all those curves & convoluted shapes. There's a bit more to the job than just gluing down some material & wrapping it around.
There's more work in getting any bulk trimmed down when wrapping around the edges. Just as much as in the actual fabrication, if not more. Bulk causes fitment issues.
Not a job that I would say an inexperienced owner would be able to do & still get a satisfactorily finished end product.
I've considered doing the one in my '98. In leather, of course. But that's as far as that's gotten. Mere consideration! Lol! I've looked at the dash many times with that idea. Covering it would be an excersize just to demonstrate my capabilities.
But seeing as the dash is in primo condition as it is, I'm just going to keep it clean, with the idea of covering it in the back of my mind for the one-day some-day list of mods.

Last edited: