The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a good picture of a properly mounted coil somewhere
I don't have a good picture of the coil mounts but, it should have a flange on each side with a foot opposite the other (kiddie corner). It mounts just behind the Throttle Body. Sometimes when you buy an aftermarket coil you have to reuse the flanges from the OE one, HTH
You must be registered for see images attach

Barmypark

Reaction score
Ive been having issues with my truck running too rich and wasting way too much gas and i tuned my fuel pressure regulator in and it seemed to have more fuel and hardly runs and i aslo think my plugs might have fouled some but, my question is which way do i turn it for less fuel pressure to the injectors it has the factory fuel pressure regulator that i purchased new from oreillies and has an adjuster screw. I will include the list of stuff replaced.

Preassembled fuel pressure regulator(with adjuster screw)
Iac valve
Tps
Fuel return line was snapped repaired it
All new gaskets

I need your guys help if at all possible this is my daily driver i have been trying to fix

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
W
Ive been having issues with my truck running too rich and wasting way too much gas and i tuned my fuel pressure regulator in and it seemed to have more fuel and hardly runs and i aslo think my plugs might have fouled some but, my question is which way do i turn it for less fuel pressure to the injectors it has the factory fuel pressure regulator that i purchased new from oreillies and has an adjuster screw
What year, model, and engine? TBI or Vortec?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes that is a bit different! I know on my Burb, when I changed the plugs the other day, I had to bend the dipstick bracket out to get more room/clearance to get my tools and hand in there. Bent it back when I was done. Maybe they picked a style of tube that fits "more universally".....

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my question is which way do i turn it for less fuel pressure to the injectors it has the factory fuel pressure regulator that i purchased new from oreillies and has an adjuster screw. I will include the list of stuff replaced.
To lower fuel pressure you turn the screw counter clockwise. I'm not aware of a "stock" regulator being all that adjustable, the screw is too short. Do you have a pressure gauge on it? How do you know it's running rich, do you have a scanner that can see O2 feedback? Is your engine stock? If so you should have 10 - 13 PSI. Here's what an AFPR (Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator) looks like with a gauge installed too.

Here's what it looks like mounted on the engine. Note: in this case the engine isn't stock so it needed more pressure to achieve proper AFRs.

When was the last time you did a normal tuneup? Plugs, wires, cap, rotor. If your plugs are fouled and you run it too long that way, your Cat will be bad and need replaced. I'd give it a tuneup and stick a scanner on it. HTH

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm in the right thread, but here goes...

How much oil pressure is too much?

I just picked up an '89 GMC Sierra running a 5.7L with A.I.R. It has the "moonie" style gauges, but no red-line for low oil pressure. The guy I bought it from said it runs about 42 psi (which, it did on the 300 mile drive home), but this week I saw it up as high as 53.
So, once again, how much is too much?

Attachments

• 20210710_073026.jpg
    20210710_073026.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 2

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy I bought it from said it runs about 42 psi (which, it did on the 300 mile drive home), but this week I saw it up as high as 53.
So, once again, how much is too much?
Is this when cold (42*) or at operating temps (53*)? It's pretty well normal to vary ~10 PSI between them. Also, those moonie gauges are known to wig out, or you have a bad connection, sender, etc. Put a mechanical gauge on it to verify.