The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fireball 440

Reaction score
Here's an interesting question I've wondered about for a long time. If an engine adjusts it's fuel amount by the amount of air given via the throttle plates, then how does an engine run(adjust it's air-flow) without throttle plates? I've noticed this on some 96+ models with the drive-by-wire system.

That's something to think about for sure.

The drive by wire system means just that- drive by electronics not by cable- take the newer style silverados for example- if you remove the beauty cover and look at the throttle body, you wont find a cable operated throttle body- instead you will find a sort of actuator mounted to it and a six wire? connector coming out- the wiring goes to the engine control module, which then decides how much to open the throttle depending on desired idle speed, the position your foot is on the accelerator which also has sensors in it to see how far you are pushing on the accelerator.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yes, I know how the drive-by-wire system works....in short the pedal works like a volume knob. But that system still uses a throttle body with plates that control the air flow....my '96 gmc 1500 has NO throttle body of any sort, no moving parts on the intake manifold(except the egr valve). Which boggles my mind as to how they control the air flow....the intake hooks straight into the duct work that connects to airbox, only other connection is the tube that runs from PCV valve to intake duct.

Anybody wanna blow their mind, then please explain how the air is controlled, lol.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Here's another question....more an opinion request: I've just acquired a 454 Vortec and auto-trans from a 99 gmc 3500......What Would You Do With It? <-topic starting question.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Use the engine to anchor your mobile home in the event of a tornado, or very large yacht to its moorings if you posses one. It's junk.

Keep the transmission for future use.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Not worried bout gas, and i'm an engine builder, so ofcourse i know the heads are crap. Just going thru ideas on what to do to it....and maybe what to put it in also. Hmmmmm....haha, beating a dead horse, niiice, love that one.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Auto Specialties Underdrive pulleys?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ASP-541000/
Figure it's a cheap 10 hp boost.
Any input?
i'm running those on the trans am. seem to do ok. Some ppl have issues with the alternator when they roll the U/D pulley on the harmonic ballancer, but they sell a alt pulley to remedy it.

also they arent recommended for forced indutction and high hp motors if i recall right

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
wutcha think about edelbrock vortec heads, valve relief dome pistons, 6-pack intake machined for vortec heads, and (3) 500cfm 2bbl tbi's?

or maybe same heads and pistons, but use a twin tbi tunnel ram with (2) 650cfm 2bbl tbi's?

oh goodness, i'm getting crazy, guess it's time to hit the sack....got a big supercell about to hit that's dropping 90mph tornadoes, so i should prolly get off here for now lol.