The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Butcher

Reaction score
are the Gen V 454 engines Hydraulic flat tappet or Pushrod?

89chevy

Reaction score
Hello. Looking to swap out my 305 for a LQ4 6.0. in to a 1989 chevy 4x4 1500. Can anyone tell me if my transmission will bolt up or will I need a tranny as well.

Bertiespeed

||*||CDNP 4 life
Reaction score
heres a dumb question ! Whats the hose that comes from the base of the air cleaner to the manifold called ? And is that a sensor inside of the air box ?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Why wont my damn truck idle under 1500 rpm? I am thinking a leak in the throttle body gasket am I on the right track? From what my buddy told me the truck doesn't really have any balls either. " I am in Iraq so I don't know" it is a 5.7 in a 94 silverado 4x4 with a 14 bolt rear. other than that everything else is stock mechanically.

Most often the major thing I remember being an issue with these that gives that kind of symptom, is the IAC(Idle Air Control) Valve sticks in the fast-idle position. Mine has been doing that as long as I've owned it and remains at 1500rpm until the thermostat opens then it slowly goes back down to ~950rpm....the only other way to prematurely lower the idle on mine is to goose the gas and it then signals the computer that it's getting too much air, so it backs the IAC valve down to it's regular rpm(~950-1150), then when thermostat opens, it goes down to 950. If it NEVER goes down below 1500, it's either a badly stuck IAC, or an intake leak. I'd check for air leaks at the tbi base plate, the front intake for the PCV system(rubber 90-degree fitting tends to split with age), intake manifold-to-head gaskets. Any of those will most likely be the cause, only other thing that comes to mind is a throttle cable that's adjust too tightly, or a frayed cable; and in rare cases an improperly adjusted throttle screw(throttle stop screw....allows you to dial-in your warm idle speed).

Good Luck in the fix

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
heres a dumb question ! Whats the hose that comes from the base of the air cleaner to the manifold called ? And is that a sensor inside of the air box ?

What you're describing sounds like the intake manifold pressure/vacuum sensor; if it reads incorrectly, it'll trip the engine light.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Here's an interesting question I've wondered about for a long time. If an engine adjusts it's fuel amount by the amount of air given via the throttle plates, then how does an engine run(adjust it's air-flow) without throttle plates? I've noticed this on some 96+ models with the drive-by-wire system.

That's something to think about for sure.