The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
What does this wire go to? its spliced into a white wire coming out of the computer... Why would some idiot do this? oh and another question ... is there a fuse for the transmission??? if so where???

You must be registered for see images attach

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
the correct answer would be" the correct location of the distributor"...if it is not in the correct location the timing lite will flash incorrectly at the right timing mark

Jim's 72

Reaction score
What does this wire go to? its spliced into a white wire coming out of the computer... Why would some idiot do this? oh and another question ... is there a fuse for the transmission??? if so where???

You must be registered for see images attach

no Idea why someone woul put that purplw wire the..but it does not look factory to me
As for the tranny..I believe there is a fus ein the driver side kickpanel fuse block
Jim

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

definantly not a factory wires. if you unwind the harness a little bit and see what PCM pin # the white wire is going to, I could tell you for sure what it is...from the pic, it looks like the white wire is running to the connector on the PCM marked 'WHITE', if thats the case, then that is the IC control timing wire which runs to the ignition control module. its possible whoever had the truck before had some kind of aftermarket Tach, and they were trying to tap into that for a tach signal.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Hey guys, got a quick question about seafoam. I have about 180,000 on it right now, it's the original motor. I changed the plugs about 10k back, but I am looking at putting in some seafoam. Never used it before, so I'm pretty sure my engine would run a lot better.
Anyways, my questions are: I've heard that using it will gunk up your plugs, did you guys have this happen?
Also, could cleaning the engine with this stuff cause it to leak more? I've heard that sometimes oil and carbon build ups can plug leaks in gaskets and such, I just don't have the mechanical experience that you guys have, and I want to know if this could actually happen.
If you have any more suggestions for using the stuff, such as things to be careful of and things like that, it would also be appreciated.:handshake:

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
i have not heard anything about seafoam opening leaks but don't be afraid of the smoke. i always put some right down the TBI and some in the hose on the brake booster. and about the smoke, i have seen some that barely smoke and others that smoke soo much that once you are done you can't see the car anymore but i have always had good results.