The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horntoad

Reaction score
Thank you! Though finding locally a 8mm square bit socket I could not, 4 auto parts stores, 3 hardware stores, and one tool store. HD lists them for shipment to the store at a nice price, but I went with online because the added cost was worth it to me to get it in a couple-few days.

It's a 1995 L05 350.

DylChrFla

Reaction score
I’ve got a 1991 c1500 with a high mileage 305 and was considering a 350 replacement engine. Will my pcm be compatible with the increase in cubic inches? I have a set of 350 tbi injectors I intend to use, but otherwise I’m not sure what would need replacement.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will my pcm be compatible with the increase in cubic inches? I have a set of 350 tbi injectors I intend to use, but otherwise I’m not sure what would need replacement.
You can try it but, your fueling tables will be somewhat off. What ECM do you have? You may be able to find a chip off another truck with a 350, the same trans as yours, and simply swap it out.

Horntoad

Reaction score
Cleaning a greasy, grimy part: engine oil filter adapter. Kerosene?

I've got my engine oil filter adapter (1995 4WD w/KC4) out for a gasket and o-ring change. Been leaking (and under the vehicle for nearly 30 years) and is a bit greasy and grimy.

* Any reason not to soak it in kerosene to clean it? I know it has two sealing washers on the mounting bolt holes; would the kerosene damage those, and are they replaceable? *

Figure I can burn the kerosene in a forced-air "torpedo" heater afterwards. Is this a stupid question, and is kerosene a stupid method :)? Better ideas? Thanks in advance!

I did clean my throttle body by soaking in "naptha" (camp fuel).

Last edited:

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you know this alternator?
I pulled this all-beef-burger off a very clean looking 454 in the junk yard. I say clean, bc the spark plug wires, distributor cap, radiator expansion tank, all looked brand spankin new. Even the driver's seat leather was in one piece. Looks like it will bolt right up to my 350 - just need to splice on it's rectangular 1-wire plug in place of my oval one.
I've spotted this alt in photos on here - was it an OEM option? I can't find any labels or markings on the case.
Looking for clues.
You must be registered for see images attach

FourEightZero

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick stupid question..

I have a BBMD PROM chip tuned for my setup. I swapped in another 16168625 ECM and put my tuned chip in. 2nd ECM has a different four letter code on the included chip and sticker.

This will cause problems. Correct?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd ECM has a different four letter code on the included chip and sticker.

This will cause problems. Correct?
Not as long as you have the same service number PCM. The BCC (Broadcast Code) chip contains the "tuned" .bin so, when you swap it in, you're running the same one you had before.

FourEightZero

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.. I'm pretty sure I have a host of electrical issues.

I have a laptop with TunerProRT on it, an ALDL cable, and I tested it today. Ready to do some data logs.

The mechanic that's helping me is an old school guy (not so great with electronics/computers). I figure if I do some data logs with all parameters recorded, along with checking all the OBD1 codes, we can use the GM Electrical/Troubleshooting PDF and start going through the components spitting out bad numbers and the wiring one by one.

Am I on the right track?