The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
checked this tonight and the pump only primed one time the dozen or so times I tried it.
You have to wait 6 - 10 seconds between turning the key back on for it to prime again. Since it does prime, we know your fuel pump relay works. We don't know if the relay comes on when cranking.

Yes, fix the wires first.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got an oil leak around the seal where the part the oil filter screws onto meets the motor (in picture). What is the correct name for this part and is it easy enough to replace?
That looks like your oil cooler adapter. Yes, it's not too hard to pull.

Gomer989

Reaction score
That looks like your oil cooler adapter. Yes, it's not too hard to pull.
Well, I fixed the wiring and I can feel the relay working (didn't check relay voltage). I have 12 volts at the fuel pump fuse holder until the relay timer kicks off. I also have 12 volts at the fuel pump connector at the fuel tank until the relay kicks it off. Does that mean all signs point to a bad fuel pump?

Gomer989

Reaction score
Put a pressure gauge on it to confirm.
I replaced the fuel relay with a simple toggle switch, it powers the fuel pump that way just fine. It looks on the wiring diagram like after the 2 second prime, it depends on an oil pressure switch to keep the fuel pump running. Does anybody know what psi is required to activate this switch? I'm wondering if the engine is slower than it should be to get to the activation pressure.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what psi is required to activate this switch? I'm wondering if the engine is slower than it should be to get to the activation pressure.
FWIU it s/b >4 PSI. The Oil Pressure Switch is a backup to the Fuel Pump Relay which is turned on by the ECM when it sees Distributor Reference Pulses from the ICM.

WV_Dave

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an ECM question. Pardon my ignorance, I'm still learing and sometimes these things aren't black and white.

My 94 4.3 4l60e rwd truck has the 16196395 computer (BDXJ bin). When I check tuner pro and gearhead-efi, the 6395 computer is listed as an HD setup with the 4l80e. My bin and configuration is listed under the 7427 computer.

Does my 6395 run the $0D or $0E mask? I'm confused about which data stream definition would be correct.

EDIT: for correct spellin' and numbers.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I check tuner pro and gearhead-efi, the 6395 computer is listed as an HD setup with the 4l80e.
FWIU 7427 and 6395 are pretty much the same. 6395 uses the $OE where the 7427 uses either $OE and $OD. Open your .bin with $OE and look at the tables, see if they make sense with no weird numbers.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2 piece timing cover for 95 SBC, do they work as advertised?
Worth using?

asking since my engine is out, so now would be a good time.

might do a cam change later on.

it looks like you can get a cam out without pulling the AC stuff.

thx

Last edited: