The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or - all of the above? You're definitely burning something other than a normal air/fuel mixture. Time for a magnetic particle test (AKA Magnaflux). Or, new heads...

Damn, prices have gone up! :bs:

yes they have, too bad, cause i would have liked to get some Aluminum heads.
really don't want to spend money on them, as you can appreciate, haha.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i'm in BC, CDN, so put a 1 in front of the $75 ......
but ya gunna have to go that route.

hopefully it doesn't need planning, cause then i can get away with just doing 1.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just get them magnafluxed. Locally, that runs for like $75 at any machine shop. They can probably also check for flatness.
Yeah, but, what's the fun in that? he'll still have the anemic swirl port heads :33: - This is the time to make the decision what do you want and how much do you wanna spend. "If I'm gonna spend the money for decent heads, I should go with a better cam". Then, "If I get a better cam, I need a way to help it breathe with headers and high flow Cat and mufflers" - you know the drill :waytogo:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but the gotcha is they aren't even as good as the Vortecs. If you can get them for free, they're worth it. The TBI heads aren't really worth the magnafluxing.

We're in a nice moment in time where excellent SBC heads are available, cheap.

Gomer989

Reaction score
Hoping someone can point me down a likely direction. My 91 k1500 4.3 has become hard to start. After cranking for 10ish seconds, and the oil pressure gauge fighting a "2 steps forward 1 step back" sort of battle, it will start. Any ideas of the cause of this? It used to start on the first crank with no issue.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any ideas of the cause of this? It used to start on the first crank with no issue.
Do you hear the fuel pump prime for ~2 seconds when you turn the key on engine off? If not, maybe your pump relay is bad. Another thing to check is fuel pressure, it s/b ~10 - 13 PSI with 10 being marginal IMO.

Gomer989

Reaction score
Do you hear the fuel pump prime for ~2 seconds when you turn the key on engine off? If not, maybe your pump relay is bad. Another thing to check is fuel pressure, it s/b ~10 - 13 PSI with 10 being marginal IMO.
Thanks, checked this tonight and the pump only primed one time the dozen or so times I tried it. I can hear the relay switch each time though. I checked behind the panel on the firewall and had a mouse nest and they've gone to town on the wiring in there. However after the engine starts I can still hear the fuel pump running if I put my ear to the tank. I can't make sense of why the pump still runs but only after the engine starts. Obviously next is to fix the wires.

Gomer989

Reaction score
Thanks, checked this tonight and the pump only primed one time the dozen or so times I tried it. I can hear the relay switch each time though. I checked behind the panel on the firewall and had a mouse nest and they've gone to town on the wiring in there. However after the engine starts I can still hear the fuel pump running if I put my ear to the tank. I can't make sense of why the pump still runs but only after the engine starts. Obviously next is to fix the wires.
I do have another one while I'm at it. I've got an oil leak around the seal where the part the oil filter screws onto meets the motor (in picture). What is the correct name for this part and is it easy enough to replace?

Attachments

• 20220822_193104.jpg
    20220822_193104.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 11