The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are several different dip sticks and tubes. Our truck reads 3.5 quarts over full with the current dip stick. Before I aquired the truck, the original owner and myself swapped in a reman engine with the OE truck pan. We must have mixed up the dip sticks or tubes when we moved everthing over to the new reman engine. The reman came with different dip stick and oil pan. I had a pic of the different ones for trucks, but I can't seem to find it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think the oil dipsticks are the same length on them... Different style pans would change the amount of oil you need to put in, but not the level at which the oil should be. I only put 5qts in mine, and that puts the level just very slightly under full on the stick. All the extras you've added in on top of 5.25qt is probably giving your engine way too much.. Your crank shaft is gonna start dipping, if it isn't already. I don't think that's desired.
The truck has the towing package with the oil cooler, so it holds a little more...

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I have had slight problem at least 3 years or longer. It's not very bad but After driving it for a while when I stop it has a slight surge to the idle. It never dies or has any problem accelerating. tbi has never been apart and TPS , Iac And Egr are original to the truck. when cold everything works as it should. I will replace the coolant temp sensor when the weather warms up a bit while flushing the system.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After driving it for a while when I stop it has a slight surge to the idle. It never dies or has any problem accelerating
It could be a bad ICM and/or coil. A bad coil can take out the ICM. You can have them tested but that may prove it if they are bad. You can't prove they're good though. Some times when the ICM gets hot it starts sending random pulses to the ECM which thinks your RPMs are changing and will adjust SA and fuel accordingly causing a surge. YMMV

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
Thank you! I had a new distributor put in a few years ago and I noticed then the coil looks rough. I thought I would just wait till it quits to replace it. I think I will go ahead and replace that too. Nothing high performance here just want a good driver for sunny days. : )

mtbxcracer

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and unfamiliar with chevy trucks although a experienced shadetree mechanic with Alfas, toyotas, jaguar. Visiting friend has a 98 Silverado with 5.7 Vortec w/ 133K that developed a rod knock on trip here. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to replace rod bearing by dropping oil pan with engine still in the truck. this is a temporary repair..

mtbxcracer

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement. I know it is not a proper repair, but the visiting friend is from out of town and we would like to make a repair that would get the truck home to home turf several hundred miles away... I have been searching this web site to see if similar issue has been addressed, but have not come up with the right search string.
Yes it is a 2wd, forgot to mention that. If anyone can direct me to such a discussion, I would really appreciate it!