The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this the deep (vs shallow) 4l60e pan? Truck is a 98.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustBill

Reaction score
Post here if you have a simple question. This will help keep track of common info and reduce clutter.
I have 1988 Chevy 1500. 350 motor 2 wheel drive that originally was running rough at 50 mph. Then got worse next day to the point of dieing at intersection. Wouldn't start. Backfired and loud noise under hood. Finally started and made it home. Replaced cap and rotor. Center prong on cap was broken. New plugs air filter fuel filter egr valve air intake value. Truck will idle just fine but when put in gear in dies a lot. Runs a little rough. But scared to drive as it keeps dieing out. Any help please. I am just a basic mechanic

TonyObs350

Reaction score
So I have a 1998 Chevy K1500 5.7 Vortec TBI and want a cam kit to bring it closer to 300hp, Comp Cams Energy ? I want something with power in the 1200-5200 RPM range. I have a tuner ready to tune the ECM. What cam kits do you recommend? I want a good rumble, but the truck is being lifted 6inches with 35 tires. it has 342 gears and I appreciate any suggestions.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 1988 Chevy 1500. 350 motor 2 wheel drive that originally was running rough at 50 mph. Then got worse next day to the point of dieing at intersection. Wouldn't start. Backfired and loud noise under hood. Finally started and made it home. Replaced cap and rotor. Center prong on cap was broken. New plugs air filter fuel filter egr valve air intake value. Truck will idle just fine but when put in gear in dies a lot. Runs a little rough. But scared to drive as it keeps dieing out. Any help please. I am just a basic mechanic

That sounds like a fuel pump to me, but... Just for laughs, change the spark control module (the black block inside the distributor) with a new one, and don't forget to coat it good with (should be) included silicone on the bottom of it. Try that first.. nothing changes, then you may have a busted diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator. You'd have to take the throttle body apart to get to it. They sell rebuild kits pretty cheap, and its not a hard job. The kit will include new screens, O-rings, and gaskets. Really, its a super simple job, but the diaphragm is spring loaded, and can be a bear to get back together.

That's the easy stuff... now comes the hard.

If after all that, and its still cutting out, that only leaves the fuel pump. You DO NOT need to lift the bed off the truck however, but you will need to jack it up on the tank side to get to the pump. Floor jack and a good 2X4 cut about 2-3 (Use the wheel well) feet can lift it up enough to get to the pump in the tank. It's going to look scary, but its not. All the connections and hoses can only go one way. Once you get the pump out, its an easy swap to a new one, and don't forget the fuel filter sock. You'll have to losen the bed bolts on the pax side, and remove all the bolts on the tank side. You will need a good impact it they never been out before, but they will come out. They used good hardware there. Use anti-seize when putting them back, and use blue lock tight on the throttle body screws to keep from galling the aluminum it's made from.

Youtube should have vids for all these little projects.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have a 1998 Chevy K1500 5.7 Vortec TBI and want a cam kit to bring it closer to 300hp, Comp Cams Energy ? I want something with power in the 1200-5200 RPM range. I have a tuner ready to tune the ECM. What cam kits do you recommend? I want a good rumble, but the truck is being lifted 6inches with 35 tires. it has 342 gears and I appreciate any suggestions.

Well I'm on OBD1, so I can't help you on the programing.. but throwing 35's on a .342 will make that truck feel like its in molasses. I used the Comp energy cam with .480 lift, 112 LS. I figure i'm close to 300 (275-290-ish). You can bring her up on the HP, but that God Awful .342 rears is gonna make you hate it. 373 would work out ok, but you'd also have to change the front diff as well.

Anyway, call summit and talk to the cam guys. They can walk you through what you need. I like comp cams personally, but their all good.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologies, Hawk, but you're recommending the parts shotgun approach. There's a lot more that can cause 'running rough and dying'.

JustBill, you need to check your fuel pressure. The downside is you'll need to buy some adapters to plumb a gauge in line, but the upside is that it's cheaper and easier than replacing the fuel pump and rebuilding the TBI unnecessarily. On my '89, I adapted metric o-ring to AN, and then AN to a hose barb. I found it easier to plumb into the engine side of the fuel filter.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/fittings-hoses/section/fittings-plugs/part-type/fittings-and-adapters/fitting-category/an-to-metric-threads/fitting-attachment-style-1/male-an?N=fitting-category:an-to-metric-threads+fitting-attachment-style-1:male-an&PageSize=25&SortBy=DisplayPrice&SortOrder=Ascending

Check for vacuum leaks.

Check your O2 sensor voltage - it should switch between rich and lean at least 7 times in ten seconds.

Don't replace that spark controller out-of-hand, but if you have a known good one handy, it doesn't hurt to diagnose by swap. Mine ran fine at idle, but broke up and died with throttle input.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score