The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

long_bed

Reaction score
So I am trying to diagnose a slow starting issue with my 95 tbi 350 c1500. Battery is losing its charge overnight. Diagnosis I've done so far shows it might be a parasitic drain somewhere in the system. While checking wires, i noticed that the AC compressor is magnetized whent I touch a screwdriver to its housing with the truck and AC switched off. Is this normal? I'm feeling like the AC clutch could be a culprit.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I am trying to diagnose a slow starting issue with my 95 tbi 350 c1500. Battery is losing its charge overnight. Diagnosis I've done so far shows it might be a parasitic drain somewhere in the system. While checking wires, i noticed that the AC compressor is magnetized whent I touch a screwdriver to its housing with the truck and AC switched off. Is this normal? I'm feeling like the AC clutch could be a culprit.

Check your glove box and visor light switches. That was killing mine.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A simple test - disconnect the clutch connector and see if your battery is dead in the morning.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it normal for my temperature gauge to fluctuate (slowly) as the t-stat opens and closes on a cold (25F) day, even while driving for 1/2 hr?

Time lapse video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And some thermal imagery. Note ambient temperature is about 25F, intake 187F, and upper radiator hose 119F.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

McBroom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idk bout the fluctuation. But my opinion is that the thermostat is going out. Does the cab get warm?

The Blue Mule

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do I find the right serpentine belt, tensioner and pulley for my truck? or what is the best combo set for the money?