The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
97 4.3, 78k miles dreaded P0300 code, via Innova 3150d
https://www.innova.com/Product/Detail/3150d

appreciate any help since I've done googles suggestions, without just throwing parts at it.
truck was running great, sat over weekend, Monday morning throws code, runs like crap.

Ok shouldn't be too bad, so:

New AC delco parts:
cap, rotor, plugs (.060 gap) and leads. 4 new O2 senors replaced about a few months ago when I did the cat (replaced with magnaflow direct fit)
Put old O2's back in, (they never set any codes, replaced as reg maintenance)
Distributor appeared to be ok, no real slop imo.

Vacuum, fuel psi, egr, tsp, map sensor check out. (when i pull connector set code)

hook up inductive timing light, check all plug wires when running, no miss fires from looking @ light.
pull a couple leads using old plugs watch spark, look good, blueish white, no miss fires.

What did i miss, besides 3 days of normal life haha?

What's next? or this the end (besides a match :) )
You must be registered for see images attach

TIA

update:

well the p0300 code turned out to be p0301, not sure why it reported p0300 since it's just #1 miss fire. scanner specs says it can report p0300 thru 08, ordered the updated spider assembly and doing intake gaskets since i'm in this far.

saving match for later ......

Last edited:

Jcauli82

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dreaded p0300 code.....with bafx obd2 adapter running on dashcommand.....took intake all the way off today ...see pic..... How do I remove mpfi poppets or whatever they are called?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Since you're already in there, just push the poppets back out with a screwdriver and replace the set with an MPFI spider. The poppets are supposed to have little tabs on them you can squeeze to pull them out, but I had better luck just shoving them back from the bottom of the manifold.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dreaded p0300 code.....with bafx obd2 adapter running on dashcommand.....took intake all the way off today ...see pic..... How do I remove mpfi poppets or whatever they are called?

From you other post, it looks like you already have the MPFI injectors. They just pull out from the top.

How old are they?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s been a while since I did mine, but I think there were small ears on the plastic part at the end. Pretty sure that the instructions implied that they would be damaged if removed.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that note about removal was in the instructions.

If yours are leaking, that isn’t making these replacements look very promising. Every now and again you’ll see someone post about issues.

Jcauli82

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They arent leaking but I gotta change a blown head gasket now and figured it would be convenient to remove it.....so it's not intended to be removed once the lugs are in there huh? Would one of those rebuild kits with new lugs be worth it to remove it for ocds sake?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It does seem kind of lousy for them to not be removable without tearing the tabs off. I didn’t know they made replacement injector ends for this style - might be worth looking into if you have to remove them. I’m sure Delco would be happy to sell you a brand new spider, though.

Jcauli82

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok well I'm back at this head gasket/intake gasket dilemma and got a question.... Is there any way to tell if my head gaskets/heads are bad without having to take everything below the intake off? I'm where I was in the picture I posted a few posts ago on here ....