The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Top one kind of looks like the low pressure cycling switch on the a/c accumulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
More likely, the cycling switch on the compressor itself. It's behind and at the bottom of the compressor, not the easiest to see or get to. The bottom one I'm not sure, need a wider shot so I can see what's around that area.

Uncle Ben: Watch your voltmeter when this happens, does it drop off? Possible alternator rectifier issue.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
More likely, the cycling switch on the compressor itself. It's behind and at the bottom of the compressor, not the easiest to see or get to. The bottom one I'm not sure, need a wider shot so I can see what's around that area.

Uncle Ben: Watch your voltmeter when this happens, does it drop off? Possible alternator rectifier issue.
Thank you. I will try to get a wider shot on here tonight or tomorrow evening.

UNDERTAKER_23

Reaction score
Any one swap a 97 vortec 350 into a 94 vortec v6? Looking to pull my crate 5.7 out of the suburban my son rolled and transplant to my 1994 Cheyenne... Any info would be great.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Would someone snag a photo or grab the part number off this sticker on the left, please? Pretty sure it's the ac one. Putting new stickers on the new shroud and this is the only one I lack. 94' C1500 5.7 manual

You must be registered for see images attach

Larry_H

Reaction score
Any ideas on when this engine was built and whether it’s a replacement crate motor? 10243880 stamped on the back bellhousing flange. GM 5.7 LG and SMCl is on the back too. The date code is H269. Couldn’t find anything on the stamping pad after I moved the alternator bracket. It’s in my 1996 K1500.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be August 26, 1999. SMCO is Saginaw Metal Casting Operations. I think the blocks were being Hechoed en Mexico by 2009, so likely a warranty replacement relatively early in it's it's.

Larry_H

Reaction score
Should be August 26, 1999. SMCO is Saginaw Metal Casting Operations. I think the blocks were being Hechoed en Mexico by 2009, so likely a warranty replacement relatively early in it's it's.
Thank you for the reply.

Larry_H

Reaction score
I talked the original owner. They bought it new in 1996 and kept it until 2007 (11 yrs). They said it still had the original engine and transmission when they sold it. The car fax verifies the first ownership transfer took place in 2007 at 143K miles. This makes me wonder if the 99 engine is a salvage yard engine or a rebuild/reman.

Hostility

Reaction score
1992 C1500 5.7 liter engine...today my belt shredded and broke the plastic tube that leads to the vapor canister. My question is - Do I even "need" the vapor canister? In my state, my truck is no longer rquired to pass an emissions test. Will deleting the canister cause any issues? Thanks in advance for any replies.