The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
stupid question, i have a 96 K2500 w 7.4 vortec with over 220K, looking under it the other day the balancer looks like it has seen better days. the rubber seems to be oozing out / but its hard and has chunks missing
is this something important i should replace? just go stock?
is there anything about replacing it that i should know , just use a puller?
will it affect the computer in any way? i see a crank sensor near it, just want to know if a re-learn is involved.

Reaction score
The last time I developed a bad miss (98 K1500) turned out a plug wire developed a split in the under side of the part that attaches to the plug.
Good luck.

flat landah

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response guys. After all of that, it was the friggen coil. I can't even believe I overlooked it, I did everything else in the ignition system BUT the coil. Definitely one of those bang-your-head-off -the-wall moments. I had did a compression test and they call checked out good. Woke up the next morning and it just hit me

86k10

Reaction score
How long do the conventional AC Delco plugs last in a Vortec 350 (98) vs. Platinum?

Plugs are already in and was wondering what life span the conventional plugs get in real life scenarios? I putt less than 3K miles a year.

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How long do the conventional AC Delco plugs last in a Vortec 350 (98) vs. Platinum?

Plugs are already in and was wondering what life span the conventional plugs get in real life scenarios? I putt less than 3K miles a year.
If you got a good set I would say that they will last as long as the truck is around. Also depends on how your engine runs. With only 3k a year being put on it would take a while to wear out those plugs as long as you get a good clean burn. I dont think you would need to go platinum.

Gearheadmike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to be replacing my fuel pressure regulator soon. 96 5.7 std trans. Also what's the best one to buy?
Was thinking the Standard Motor Products PR203 from rockauto? There kind of a pain to replace so i'd like to do it once.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bit of a weird question. When I accelerate hard from a stop, and the engine is in the 4-5,000rpm range, the battery light comes on in the dash. Then goes out when the transmission. Shifts, or if I let off the gas. But at 4,500ish rpm the battery light comes on. Should I worry about this?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going to be replacing my fuel pressure regulator soon. 96 5.7 std trans. Also what's the best one to buy?
Was thinking the Standard Motor Products PR203 from rockauto? There kind of a pain to replace so i'd like to do it once.

I’d replace the whole injector assembly with the MPFI if it’s in the budget. Delco is a little over $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gearheadmike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d replace the whole injector assembly with the MPFI if it’s in the budget. Delco is a little over $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done that already but i believe i'm having a vapor lock issue thought it might be a leaky fuel pressure reg. or hopefully not a leaky injector.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
I can't find homes for these two guys and I can't find them in the wiring diagram. 94 C1500 5.7, they reach as far as the ac compressor. Please help, please

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach