The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TD Henley

Reaction score
Its almost like power gets cut off to the motor. But it stops when the rpms get low. Theres a big diffrence between just letting off tge gas a when it does this

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
That is called DFCO, or Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off - essentially works similar to an engine brake, but what it actually does is retards timing down to -5 degrees while supplying the engine with minimal fuel. It's something you can mess with in the PCM tune.. Great for coasting to a stop, and uses a lot less fuel than if it weren't in effect. Perfectly normal tho :)

Viru

Reaction score
Could just be natural behavior of the motor causing deceleration when the torque converter is locked up, unless you were pointing at something else

Jcauli82

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay this is crazy just started happening this evening my truck is sputtering and dying when it has low rpms while I'm driving it. Seems to be doing ok when I accelerate and get it past 30 mph.... But when im braking at a stop light or whatever , the gas pedal is moving on it's own trying to accelerate. Any ideas anybody? 98 k1500 5.7l

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

TD Henley

Reaction score
That is called DFCO, or Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off - essentially works similar to an engine brake, but what it actually does is retards timing down to -5 degrees while supplying the engine with minimal fuel. It's something you can mess with in the PCM tune.. Great for coasting to a stop, and uses a lot less fuel than if it weren't in effect. Perfectly normal tho :)
thanks man. Do you think theres a way to controll it better? Like on a toggle switch or something?

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay this is crazy just started happening this evening my truck is sputtering and dying when it has low rpms while I'm driving it. Seems to be doing ok when I accelerate and get it past 30 mph.... But when im braking at a stop light or whatever , the gas pedal is moving on it's own trying to accelerate. Any ideas anybody? 98 k1500 5.7l

Sounds like two separate problems; sputtering and dying and the gas pedal depressing on it's own, is it?

Jcauli82

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just disconnected the cruise control earlier so I'm not getting the gas pedal sticking symptom anymore but I was going up a hill shortly after that and I got the sputtering so that's where I'm at with it right now

flat landah

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here hoping to get pointed in the right direction. I have a 94' k1500 with 100k on the dash. Months ago I had a couple of very minor misfires and sputtering while on the road, nothing major. Well, I just completed a cross country trip in the truck and the misfire came back with a vengeance. Got to the point where it was almost undriveable. It misfired so bad it blew open my muffler. I got it home, replaced the MAP sensor, coolant temp sensor, timing chain (which did have quite a bit of slack in it), new distributor, cap rotor and module, fuel sending unit and fuel filter. STILL misfires.... The only thing I can think of now is a burnt valve maybe? The truck idles beautifully, once I put it under a load (if i have it in 3rd or 4th and whack it) it misfires/pops, sputters.

Haven't checked compression yet, that is my next step but... for the love of god is there anyone with a suggestion out there?

Viru

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here hoping to get pointed in the right direction. I have a 94' k1500 with 100k on the dash. Months ago I had a couple of very minor misfires and sputtering while on the road, nothing major. Well, I just completed a cross country trip in the truck and the misfire came back with a vengeance. Got to the point where it was almost undriveable. It misfired so bad it blew open my muffler. I got it home, replaced the MAP sensor, coolant temp sensor, timing chain (which did have quite a bit of slack in it), new distributor, cap rotor and module, fuel sending unit and fuel filter. STILL misfires.... The only thing I can think of now is a burnt valve maybe? The truck idles beautifully, once I put it under a load (if i have it in 3rd or 4th and whack it) it misfires/pops, sputters.

Haven't checked compression yet, that is my next step but... for the love of god is there anyone with a suggestion out there?

Have you checked the ignition coil and spark plugs yet?

munrom77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like compression/burnt valve issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk