The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
97 k1500 suburban

I removed the air filter housing for this- but I did it about 2 weeks ago and just got back to replacing it and I don't remember what I did to unplug these. Don't see where these vacuum hoses go. Don't tell me they plug into each other!
You must be registered for see images attach

Rear heater hoses maybe? I don’t know how they’re routed on a suburban/Tahoe. But I don’t see anything else on that side in my Silverado.

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrapping up a regear from 3.73 to 4.55.
Does the PCM need to be reprogrammed right away? Or does it just throw off the speedometer?
33s, K1500, 4L60E
Mondays are tough at a desk when you rather be wrenching...

IcicleDBR

Reaction score
I have yet to find any mention of this on the exhaust thread, but why are nearly all aftermarket headers circular port when the tbi and vortec heads have rounded square port? I see people linking circular port headers to thr exhaust thread too. Are they aftermarket circular ones just so big that it doesn't matter on the head?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that circular port headers exist, but I don't know where to find them. Most headers have round tubing that's squared off where it goes into the flange. The headers on WCJr are that way, as well as all the other headers I've ever bought or made.

baddawg

Reaction score
Question, I've read it somewhere, I think it caused a problem between a few members, but I can't find it again.
I went from a coil and stock distributor, to a HEI with the coil built in. As ya'll know the plugs are completely different.
I changed over the POWER and TACH wire, and have them in the proper place, the HEI has its own wire from distributor to built in coil.
That leaves me with the 4 prong plug that went to the old distributor.
Does someone know the wire on the 4 prong that I have to put power to?????
I have an external fuel pump, so that is not an issue.
I rebuilt my 454 last winter to about 500HP, and I could not get the timing up enough with the old ignition, so I went with a MECHANICAL and VACUUM advance HEI.
Thanks