The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do the instructions say? I remember seeing a connector to simulate the signal to bypass the no video in motion safety.
What are hooking it to, that should tell if it's looking for a ground or a power signal.

baddawg

Reaction score
Newbie, well, retired 64 year old newbie.
Anyone have a schematic of the plug on the back side of your dash cluster?
I'm rebuilding a 88' Cheyenne dually, and I am putting in the dash with all the guages, my original only had fuel and speedometer.
I'm tracking oil, water, volts, wires now.

Thank you, love your forum

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! If the answer isn't here then not even GM knows it. Is the cluster you are planning to install from the same year? I am not all that familiar with the 88 but on some of the trucks it is plug and play from one cluster of the same year to another. @HotWheelsBurban might know the answer to this one. I am assuming you are not trying to put a gas cluster into a diesel or vice versa. Good luck in any event!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will help, keep in mind you'll need to upgrade things like your temp switch to a temp sensor, etc. The switches for your idiot lights are on/off, not variable resistance, which you'll need for gauges.

www.gmt400.com/threads/88-98-service-manuals.43575/

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! If the answer isn't here then not even GM knows it. Is the cluster you are planning to install from the same year? I am not all that familiar with the 88 but on some of the trucks it is plug and play from one cluster of the same year to another. @HotWheelsBurban might know the answer to this one. I am assuming you are not trying to put a gas cluster into a diesel or vice versa. Good luck in any event!
I'm not sure about this, since my experience is primarily with the later 400s. I would look at the shop manual as advised....

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
Newbie, well, retired 64 year old newbie.
Anyone have a schematic of the plug on the back side of your dash cluster?
I'm rebuilding a 88' Cheyenne dually, and I am putting in the dash with all the guages, my original only had fuel and speedometer.

Thank you, love your forum
1988-93 will have the same plug. You will have to make up wires for the gauges missing from your old cluster. You will need do find schematics on the cluster your installing and compare to the old one. 1994 custer can be made to work but you will have to add a DRAC module for speedometer.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1988-93 will have the same plug. You will have to make up wires for the gauges missing from your old cluster.
88 - mid 91 (Moonie Gauges) had the same plug, later 91 (hard to find anymore) had needle gauges and the tach with the same plug but you'll have to move a couple wires. 92+ had a different plug and wiring.

baddawg

Reaction score
My full gauge cluster is the same year. So, 88 to 88.
The problem is, the guy I bought the dually from, eliminated all of the pollution crap, and moderately built the 454, in the process terminated all the wires he no longer needed .
And I will go a bit further with the build.
So, now I need to know the wires in the cluster plug, so I can chase them down to power my "new" gauges.
Its a Tennessee cab and flatbed, nice body, its just Im replacing the entire interior, its shot.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For an '89 but *should* apply to '88. Please do your homework!

Attachments

• 1673791817708.png
    1673791817708.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 9