The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Since mine is a vortec, it has 2 positive cables ( the shorter one goes to the starter and it has the smaller wire to the alternator, and the looooong one goes across the fan shroud and down the driver's side inner fender to the back of the PCM). That one is 8 feet long, and was corroded inside. The parts store wanted over $100 for a factory style replacement, and it would have to be shipped from out of state. Found a battery/electrical shop on the other side of Houston that could make me one, with regular cable lugs, for $11. And in about half an hour no less! So that's what I used, and cleaned up the other cables.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
How is everyone coming thru the passenger side of the firewall with accessory power wire?

I have an 8gauge wire I need to run for my little slim powered sub under the passenger seat and not sure how to bring it thru the firewall from the battery. All on the passenger side.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I just drilled a hole beside the hole for the antenna, passed the cable through a grommet, then I siliconed the hole to seal.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just like that it's not going to vibrate and cut itself on the sheetmetal like a firewall grommet. My Jaguar had similar pass-throughs from the factory.

JohnDenver

Reaction score
The sound on my 98 Suburban is cutting out. Timing varies from mostly working and occasionally cutting out to mostly silent and occasional sound. I’m suspecting it’s a loose connection or bad speaker wire. Are there any spots to check first? Any known wear areas? Or does having all sound cut out narrow it down at all?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The sound on my 98 Suburban is cutting out. Timing varies from mostly working and occasionally cutting out to mostly silent and occasional sound. I’m suspecting it’s a loose connection or bad speaker wire. Are there any spots to check first? Any known wear areas? Or does having all sound cut out narrow it down at all?

I would check the speaker wires. I know over time they get a bad connection