The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be more trouble than its worth but has anyone taken apart a stock positive battery cable? The wire that goes from the battery to the alternator needs to be replaced.. a new a cable from summit is a few months out. I figured id just put new lugs on a new alternator cable and a junction box cable but keep my old main cable but add a new lug at the battery

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have demon in my dashboard.......Sometimes after a hard rain the radio/CD HVAC lights blink on and off and a crackling sound is heard when are all OFF. Now a month or more the blower box is making weird noises w the switch off, sounds like a mouse is scratching inside the box. If I turn the fan/heat/ AC on and the blower and the AC/heat works fine and no weird noises @ any speed from the blower and it blows low or fast cool/heat when adjusted. Now there's a crackling/scratching noise all the time when the the truck is running w no fan or heat or AC on. I know the windshield was replaced on the 98 K1500 and I wonder if rain is leaking under the dash. I can't find any wet spots under the dash or the floorboard but sometimes the glass fogs until I turn the defog on when it's cold. I'm also slowing losing coolant from the jug, but I don't smell any antifreeze in the cab w the windows shut. Any advice about this is appreciated.

Does it make the noise when the recirc button is on?

Could be the recirculation actuator sticking and would sort of explain the fogging in defrost. Look underneath the blower and there’s a plastic grid where you can see the recirc damper. See if it moves per the dial setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have demon in my dashboard...
That sounds like a short in the dash. Since it affects your radio/HVAC lights, I'd check that circuit under the dash. Look for scuff marks on the wires.

Could be more trouble than its worth but has anyone taken apart a stock positive battery cable?
All kinds of mods have been done to battery cables. Lots of people go with the "Big 3" upgrade. I cut the side-post ends off my cables and put standard style terminals and a big battery in my truck. If you buy a decent crimper, terminal lugs are cheap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PDKZKLX/

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I bet you are right.
I think the stock cables are 4 gauge. When I had the long positive cable remade last year, that's what they used. I have a 34/78 dual terminal battery too, but I only use the top posts for jump starts.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the stock cables are 4 gauge. When I had the long positive cable remade last year, that's what they used. I have a 34/78 dual terminal battery too, but I only use the top posts for jump starts.

My battery is all blingy with terminal covers. I ordered every thing I need to repair my ugly cables.

You must be registered for see images attach