The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yup that is the one! Got one under the Burb now, and I have another one modified by Dad to fit our old 5 pin round trailer connector (for our ancient utility trailer we used to use for swap meets). He made a piece of square tube into a bracket that fits in the end of the hitch crossbar. Looked pretty cool. If I get a new trailer, I'll make something similar for the new connector. Last several years, when we need a trailer, I go to U haul. Theirs are set up for the standard 4 pin flat, so the Hopkins unit works without modifications.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suburban harness has that built in. As a matter of fact, in my picture you can see an aftermarket splitter on the end of the harness. It was on a nearby pickup, and I stuck it on the end. Didn't get charged for it! Don't need it on this truck, though. It went in the trailer's tool box.

LTC_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My HVAC has gone out (89 k1500). Nothing lighting up on the display. Where do I start looking?

Alain D

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what is the grey block full of connectors just to the left of the brake pedal?

You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
It's called a convenience center. Good place to get power from if you're adding in anything low current.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are two connectors on the engine side that it attaches to. Here’s the info for a 98, maybe it will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LTC_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My HVAC has gone out (89 k1500). Nothing lighting up on the display. Where do I start looking?
Checked the fuse and made sure the connector at the back of the controller is seated. Both fine. Still no response from the panel.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Checked the fuse and made sure the connector at the back of the controller is seated. Both fine. Still no response from the panel.

The factory manuals are on this site somewhere but I cannot find them for some reason. The guy that posted them also put them here...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=700011

I’d look for the wiring diagram for the HVAC in the manual. Too, there are probably diagnostic tables in it for a non-responsive control panel.

Mine is a 98 so it’s a little different, but I would think that the next step would be to see if you have power at the connector to the control panel. Not sure which wire it is, but would think you should see battery voltage.

If you have no power, then there’s an issue somewhere upstream of it. If you have voltage, then I’d suspect something with the panel. Check the ground coming from the panel as well. It’s probably a black wire in the connector.

LTC_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The factory manuals are on this site somewhere but I cannot find them for some reason. The guy that posted them also put them here...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=700011

I’d look for the wiring diagram for the HVAC in the manual. Too, there are probably diagnostic tables in it for a non-responsive control panel.

Mine is a 98 so it’s a little different, but I would think that the next step would be to see if you have power at the connector to the control panel. Not sure which wire it is, but would think you should see battery voltage.

If you have no power, then there’s an issue somewhere upstream of it. If you have voltage, then I’d suspect something with the panel. Check the ground coming from the panel as well. It’s probably a black wire in the connector.

Thank you, I'll take a look at the manual.